Monday, June 10, 2019

Same Thing Equals Same Outcome and a Hiatus

These past few months I've had the same goal: Get Folds in Life and Death ready for publication. And each month, I have not completed that one goal.

Well, it's a bigger goal with lots of smaller parts. I see the list of these smaller parts, and I get overwhelmed. An overwhelmed Cherie is an avoidant Cherie. I've been avoiding social media, emails, visiting blogs, and, of course, working on Folds in Life and Death. Then, I feel guilty about avoiding things I need to do, which just furthers my desire to complete them. And then I realize how far behind I am, so I get into my head that I must do all the things, but it makes me even more overwhelmed. It's a vicious cycle hampered by my overall lack of energy.

But I do need to change all that. So I'm going to try to narrow my approach to my to-do list. One item at a time. Put the blinders on and try to forget the other 99 things on the list. We'll see how it goes.

So I'll have a chance to catch up, I'm taking July and August off from blogging. I'll be back on September 9.

What are your goals? Or are you avoiding them like I am?

And I'll leave you with some good news. My sister finished writing her first novel in May! She sent it to a contest, so keep your fingers crossed for her.

13 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I can relate - I'm avoiding my manuscript at the moment.
Just pick one item and focus on that first.
Hope you get a lot done during your break.

Natalie Aguirre said...

My problem is just not enough time during the day when I'm alert. I'll be slowing down blogging for the summer too but not taking a total break. Hope you accomplish your goals.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Congrats and good luck to your sister!
And, I can relate. I have a big to do list and usually it motivates me, but lately, I've been ducking and hiding from it.
One small step at a time seems to be my motivation at the moment.
Happy word-by-word writing time in July and August!

H. R. Sinclair said...

One thing at a time! That's my motto too. Congrats to your sis and good luck to her!

Patricia JL said...

That's what I have to do. I make to-do lists for the day then focus on one item at a time. If I look at the list as a whole, it's overwhelming.

Heather R. Holden said...

Know too well how daunting catching-up can be. Have suffered from that a lot this year. Hope your blogging break leads to lots of productivity!

And aw, congrats to your sister! That's awesome! *crosses fingers*

Cathy Keaton said...

I'm so distracted by my life right now, I'm amazed I ever crack open my first draft doc. Hang in there, Cherie! The journey of a complete novel begins and ends with a single word.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I just went through a whirlwind of so much to do I didn't know where to begin. A little time off will be good for you.

Julie Flanders said...

Hi Cherie! Oh wow, congrats and best of luck to your sister. That's so exciting!
I totally understand where you are coming from. I hope you are able to reach your goals for the summer and come back in September feeling refreshed. Take care and good luck!

Christine Rains said...

One step at a time. Hope you manage to get it done. I'm trying to do the same, but I fall off the wagon and do too many things again. I need to eliminate the "Must Do Everything" mantra in my head. I'm trying to just focus on writing Magena's trilogy. I won't publish the first one until all three are done... so I say now. =P

emaginette said...

Your new method is my every day method. Make the goals small enough I can cope with them. And I'm raising my coffee cup to you and running away from the computer. Why? Because I'm slightly overwhelmed as well. Writing is hard.

I hope your plan works. I really do.

Anna from elements of emaginette

Meradeth Houston said...

Wishing you lots of luck on all the little goals! I feel you on getting overwhelmed on the sheer amount of littler things. I have a few big things I need to get done this summer and mostly just peruse facebook lately because they are far too overwhelming :)

Loni Townsend said...

Woot for your sister!

I'm a lot like you. Too often, I find myself with so much to do that I do nothing. Happens around the house, with my writing, with trying to improve my habits. I seize up and get nothing accomplished. It usually takes me time to unplug and then be very choosy about one thing to finish before I get started again.