Monday, April 8, 2019

Just Keep Swimming, Um, I Mean Writing

So, yeah, here we are at a new month. I do feel the tide turning a bit as it comes to my exhaustion and executive functioning. Maybe the arrival of Spring will help me finish up Folds in Life and Death. *crosses fingers*

I still have the same goals as last month. Finish writing "Paper Faces" and then editing it after my critique partner reads it. Proofread the collection. I'm going to hold off on the paperback book a bit, though. My day job is letting me learn Photoshop, so I want to use it to create the paperback cover, which I will do after I take a six-week introductory class in Photoshop.

So I might be able to get Folds in Life and Death out in the next few weeks. Maybe. We'll see.

What are your April goals?


Oh, I do want to share something with you. The class I'm taking is from a site called www.ed2go.com. They have so many different colleges and classes to choose from. The prices are reasonable too. I'm doing mine through Virginia Western Community College, which I attended just after high school. The classes don't count as credits, but they will appear on transcripts. I'm hoping work will pay for the two Photoshop ones, but I also want to do the American Sign Language class, one on introductory drawing, and one on doing research as a writer.

Have you tried any classes on ed2go before or something like that?


First Quarter Stats
~ January - March ~
0 words written
24,090 words edited
14,957 friends' words edited

16 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm glad you are continuing with that story from Parallels.

I've used Photoshop for over 15 years and still don't know enough to do a full cover. At least not a good one. LOL

Natalie Aguirre said...

Hope you meet your goals. The classes sound interesting but I don't enough time as it is to write. Hope they help you.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your goals and dealing with exhaustion. I know how that goes, so make sure to take it slow and listen to your body.

Cathy Keaton said...

The exhaustion thing... exhaustion is my whole life. The fact that you still have writing goals during this time of difficulty is great. I'm struggling to get much writing done this year, too, but I still have my goals. I'm just writing whenever I can, here and there. I heard of a scientist who wrote books that way while so ill he couldn't even get out of bed. He's making me look bad, lol...

Gwen Gardner said...

I wish I could take a photoshop class and learn how to do graphics and such. It would come in so handy. Good for you, Cherie!

Loni Townsend said...

I hope Spring helps! That's awesome about the classes. I haven't looked at ed2go before, but I do love self-paced learning!

Mark said...

Just keep swimming indeed! Taking classes is always cool too, although I have to make sure my kids' homework gets done first these days ;)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Best wishes with your goals!
I have taken a few classes with Edx - both on superheroes. I really liked those.

Amy Keeley said...

Ha! Now I have Dori's voice stuck in my head. Funny and inspirational. Thank you. :)

Good luck with your Photoshop class and with your covers. Studying what's required in your genre, or what's "hot," only goes so far if you don't know how to use the tools that are best for you. I use GIMP, but I've been very intrigued by the Photoshop tutorials I've seen online. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

emaginette said...

Thanks for the link. I must check it out. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Haven't heard of that educational site but I'm passing it on to some younger folks I know.

Christine Rains said...

Good luck with your goals, and I'm really interested in what you'll learn in the Photoshop class. It would be awesome if your work let you take those other courses too. I think learning sign language would be fantastic. My goals for this month... make it to the end of it? =P

DMS said...

I am glad you are taking an online class you are liking and learning a lot from. I haven't taken any online classes- but I do learn things by watching videos and webinars online. Good luck with Photoshop.

I am hoping writing is going to come faster for me this spring. So far- it is slow going. Hope it's a great writing month in May for you and that Photoshop is easier than you think it will be. :)
~Jess

S.A. Larsenッ said...

I haven't tried any classes from them, but I've heard good things about the site. Maybe I should check it out. Hopefully, your work will agree to pay for the other classes you'd like to take. Sign Language is a great language to know. My youngest child was born with Apraxia of Speech, so our entire family learned sign language with him, and we used it throughout his speech therapy.

Meradeth Houston said...

Oh dear, I haven't made it by here in far too long! Hope your May is wonderful!

Dawn Simon said...

Good for you! Those classes sound interesting! It's cool you're learning Photoshop for work and then possibly applying what you learn to creating a cover! I hope your work pays for it, too! Also, it's great that you're going to learn American Sign Language. Good luck with all of it!