Saturday, October 2, 2010

October Goals

It's October now, so it's time to wrap of how my writing life went in September and make my October goals.

Here are September's stats:
Submissions: 3 ("Magna's Plea," "Melek Katili," and "Lady Death")
Rejections: 4 ("Government Project 103-1-10," "Changeling," "Eat Your Heart Out," and "Melek Katili")
Acceptances: 0
Short Listed: 1 ("Magna's Plea")
Releases: 1 (Bloody Carnival)
Total Word Count: 11,225

It's not bad at all. I also wrote several short stories in the month of September and flash fiction pieces for Flash Fiction Fridays.

I'm changing things up again in October, and my word count will likely be way down this month, although it won't be because I'm not writing. I will be, but it'll be more rewriting and preparing.

I am trying to do a quick rewrite of Virtuoso this month. I'm literally retyping it from third person to first and making changes as I go. I'd like to finish this rewrite before the end of the month for two reasons. One, I can't do anything about the novel in November. For two, I want to get it to my critique partners, so I can know what they think. In December, I'll be submitting the first chapter and synopsis (which I'm also writing this month) to Wyvern Publications' novel competition. They don't choose the winner until May, so I'll have time to make a better revision of the novel before then.

This month, I'll be writing horror flash fiction for Flash Fiction Fridays. Don't forget to read yesterday's "She's a Real Doll."

I am also going to be working on a synopsis, outline, character sketches, etc. for Sarah's Nightmare. I want to have as much planned out as possible, so I can go into November 1 and begin writing.

I will also be finishing any November writing (the flash fiction, story for Raven and the Writing Desk, etc.) in October, so I don't have to bother with any of it in November.

And, to a few updates:
"Melek Katili" didn't make the semi-finals for All Romance eBook's Just One Bite contest. It's okay. I submitted it to More Scary Kisses anthology.
I sent the first 500 words of "Lady Death" to Rogue Blade Entertainment's Assassins: A Clash of Steel anthology. I received an email yesterday requesting the rest of the story, so I read through it once more and submitted it this morning.
And, I saw on Wyvern Publications' Facebook page the cover art for Mertales. It's an anthology Aubrie Dionne, Nicole Zoltack, me, and others are in. My story is "Neptune's Treasure." Here is the cover art:


Isn't it beautiful? I can't wait to get my contributor's copy!

Well, I'm off to prepare for the James River Writers Conference on Thursday and work on rewriting more of Virtuoso.

5 comments:

Aubrie said...

Wow, that cover does look nice! I'm going to order a few for Christmas for my family.

I'm so happy that all three of us: you, me, and Nicole are in it!

Good luck with your outline for Sarah's Nightmare! I haven't decided what to do for NaNoWriMo yet....maybe a scary one as well!

Cherie Reich said...

I'm happy we're all in it too!

And, thanks for the luck! I might need it. Scary stories are fun. *grins*

Nicole Zoltack said...

I can't wait for Mertales to be released! I love the cover on it.

I just sent in the rest of Collecting Hearts for the assassin anthology. *crosses fingers that we both get accepted* And I sent Never Shall We Part into More Scary Kisses. If I get another rejection, I might try New Love Stories next.

Cherie Reich said...

Nicole - I love the cover too! And, good luck for your new assassin story and your story for More Scary Kisses. Keep me updated! Does New Love Stories take paranormal romance? I need to find more options for "Melek Katili" if it doesn't work out for More Scary Kisses.

Nicole Zoltack said...

Yep, it does take paranormal. Just double checked on duotrope.com Love that site.