Friday, October 1, 2010

Flash Fiction Fridays



She's a Real Doll

I kissed Maggie at her building's doorstep. "Would you like for me to come up?"

She smiled and touched my cheek. "Not tonight. I have to work early. Good night." She turned and sauntered in. Her hips swayed just right, and I watched her leave.

I sighed, wondering when she would let me upstairs. We'd been dating for three months. Wasn't it time?

***

Several more months went by, and I was certain Maggie was the infamous one. I loved her, but I still never got past her front door at night. I invited her to my place, but she declined. I couldn't take it anymore!

"Marry me, Maggie doll? Please. I love you," I asked on bended knee with a ring and roses in tow.

"Oh, yes! Of course, Marty!" She hugged me, and we kissed.

She left before midnight.

***

As our wedding day neared, I worried something might be going on. It's fine if she wants to wait until we're married, but I needed to know.

I slipped a sleeping aid into her wine at dinner. It was very wrong. She's my fiancée. I should trust her.

We went back to her apartment, and she left me outside the door.

I waited until her light went out. Then, I entered her building, found the hidden key to her door, and snuck inside. Everything was so quiet, and I felt foolish. I was breaking into her place. What have I done?

I wanted to leave. I stood in the door frame for ten minutes. Curiosity dragged me to her bedroom.

She was under the covers asleep, and I felt guilty as hell.

I went over to her bedside and leaned down. "I'm sorry, baby. I was wrong. Sleep tight." I wanted to kiss her, but I froze.

Maggie wasn't there. 

A life-size doll took her place.

I stumbled backward into the nightstand and knocked over the table lamp. The bulb shattered, and I ran.

***

She explained how she kept the doll in bed while she moonlighted at her other job. She wanted everything to be perfect. I told her not to work so hard. I would take care of her.

We were married on June 17, 2010. She is so beautiful, and I'm the luckiest man in the world.

I carried her inside our hotel room. We booked the honeymoon suite, and it couldn't be nicer. To be honest, though, I paid little attention to it. I only had eyes for Maggie. My bride.

We made love on the king-sized bed.

I collapsed against the mattress and regained my breath. "You are fantastic, Mags."

She turned on her side and smiled at me. "I love you, Marty." She leaned in to kiss me, but she paused. "It's almost midnight."

I looked over at the clock. 11:59. "Yeah, almost—"

The digital numbers flashed 12:00.

Midnight.

I couldn't move.

My skin hardened like plastic. My eyes glazed over. Sounds grew muffled. I could barely see the clock change to 12:01. I was stuck, frozen in a doll-like state.

My Maggie moved over me and looked into my eyes. "Thank you, Marty. You set me free." She kissed me, yet I couldn't feel her lips upon mine.

Then, she left.

12:02.

12:03.

12:04.

4 comments:

Nicole Zoltack said...

Ooh, loved it! Great job.

Cherie Reich said...

Thanks, Nicole!

Aubrie said...

Wow, I love this. Very interesting and creepy. My eyes were glued to the screen.

Cherie Reich said...

Thanks, Aubrie!