Thursday, January 28, 2010

Writing Lethargy

I haven't written much lately, either in the blogs or in my writings. I've been rather lethargic about it, particularly since my last rejection. I received a rejection from Parsec Ink for my story "Breaking Bifrost," which I had submitted for their End of the Rainbow anthology. Personally, I thought "Breaking Bifrost" was one of my best written stories, but they disagreed. They said that the prose was dry and kept the action from becoming tension. It's one of the first rejections that I've gotten that was due to my writing more than the story idea. I don't even know what they thought of my story idea. And, to top it off, they called me Mr. I'm not a man. Cherie is a feminine name. Because of the 'e' at the end of Cherie, that further makes if feminine. For my female gender, I was upset that they assumed I was a man because "Breaking Bifrost" is a story centered around war, heroism, bravery, and courage. Women can write about these things as well!

*sighs* I do plan to read through the story again when I get a chance and try to add some more emotion without making it melodramatic and a few more metaphors/similies in attempts to making the prose less dry.

On other writing news, I really haven't written as much as I hoped. I've worked a little more on the first chapter of The Phoenix Sorceress. I am writing more on the new chapter two of The Phoenix Prophetess as well. For book one of the Phoenix Trilogy, I've decided to combine the first two chapters into a prologue and take the story off from there. It's slow going doing these rewrites and edits, but it's worth it. I'm even coming up with more ideas for the first book to add as well as ideas for book two that I'm slowly writing. I still hope to finish the rewrites for book one by the end of March and writing book two by June. We'll have to see, though, especially if I can't get out of this current writing slump.

The next short story I plan to write is called "Grave Mistakes." It is a thriller story, and I plan to submit it to Emerald Tales "It was a bright and sunny day" issue.

I don't talk too much about my life beyond writing, and it's mainly because I don't have much of a life beyond writing. Sad, but true. I go to work (as a library assistant). Then, I come home, watch some tv, and write. That's pretty much it. I also write at work, too. Shh! Don't tell. Of course, I enjoy playing games, such as Age of Mythology or Farmville on Facebook. If you have Facebook, look me up. I'd be happy to have you as a friend.

Anyway, I thought I would mention a few things about my life beyond writing every so often. And, that one thing for today is my cat Cinderella or Relli for short. She's an amazing little creature, who is a lot like me. I would eventually like to create a blog for her because she does the cutest little things, even if it is something like waking her mommy up at 2:00 AM to eat, which she does every so often....or how she is terrified of strangers, particularly men. She hides in the closet if anyone comes to our house besides me, my mom, my dad, and my sister. Anyway, I think she is the cutest, greatest kitty ever...of course, everyone probably thinks that about their pets. *laughs*







By the way, I also have a guinea pig named Abby and a blue rat named Persephone, for those that didn't know about them.



2 comments:

Aubrie said...

Aww your pets are so cute! Don't worry, I don't have much of a life either. All I do is work. Work work work...We have a BIG morgage and are trying to pay down our bills right now. *sigh* When I'm not working I write so that someday I might not have to work as much. It's a vicious cycle!

Send me your Emerald Tales story when it's done, I want to read it!

Cherie Reich said...

I'll send it as soon as I write it! I'm hoping to get a chance to write it next week, but we'll see.