Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Phoenix Prophetess - Chapter Thirty-Four

Chapter Thirty-Four was written today. The chapter itself was a shorter chapter than usual at 1,514 words, but I knew that it would be a shorter chapter. It only took me less than an hour to write it. I am so close to finishing the first draft of The Phoenix Prophetess. I only have three chapters left. Chapter Thirty-Five shouldn't be too long either, so perhaps I can finish it up this week too. The big chapters left are chapter thirty-six, which includes the major battle scene, and chapter thirty-seven, which is the end of the book. Right now, the novel is at 84,284 words.

So far between my novel and short stories and work on the Moonlight Murders novel, I have written over 100,000 words this year to date. I never thought I would write that much ever in original work. It's very exciting!

I have plans to write for a few more anthologies this year, and I hope to start working on Moonlight Murders again once the first draft to The Phoenix Prophetess is finished, which should only take a few more weeks. Yes, hopefully in less than a month, I'll have the first draft of my first novel completed!

The next short story I plan to write is for the Beasts Within 2: Beasts Unleashed anthology. I haven't thought up a title yet for the short story, although I have considered "Off the Collar" and "Hounded." Basically, it is about a were-hound detective named Toby Hound who takes the case from a were-cat named Catherine "Cat" Reynolds to find Cat's wild sister Amanda "Kitten" Reynolds.His search takes him to the place she was last seen, which is the bar, the Wolf's Den, run by a werewolf. What they don't know is whether or not Kitten is actually missing or not, but he still must find out and search for the little cat.

I haven't heard back about any of my stories yet (acceptances or rejections), but I will keep everyone posted.

4 comments:

Aubrie said...

Some of my chapters are shorter than other ones. I think it's a nice break for the reader sometimes. I like your nicknames for the next short story and "Hounded" is definitely a witty title. I always thought vampires were sexier than Werewolves (aka Edward over Jake is you read Twilight!) So I can't wait to see how you describe them to be. Someone in there has to be good looking...

Cherie Reich said...

Oh, I agree that vampires are typically sexier than werewolves, although I think Sam from the Sookie Stackhouse books is quite attractive for a shifter. The anthology calls for were-creatures though, so I have to focus on them, and they wanted something different than the typical werewolf story.

Aubrie said...

How are were-creatures different than were wolves?

I haven't read the Sookie Stackhouse books...guess I need to get them!

Cherie Reich said...

Were-creatures are humans that transform into different creatures other than your typical werewolf. You have some that are half-man/half-beast as werewolves, but there are others that actually change into an animal. They are perhaps considered more as shape shifters, but they are considered weres too. And, you must read the Sookie Stackhouse books. They are awesome!