Wednesday, September 6, 2017

I Never Intended to Be a Writer #IWSG | September Goals | Bookworm News #SpecFic

The Insecure Writer's Support Group was created by Alex J. Cavanaugh. September's co-hosts are Tyrean Martinson, Tara Tyler, Raimey Gallant, and Beverly Stowe McClure. Find the other IWSG participants here.
September's Question: Have you ever surprised yourself with your writing?
YES! All the time.

While growing up, I never intended to be a writer. Though I've always had a great imagination, I was rather dreadful when it came to writing papers in English classes. The main reason was because I missed learning how to write a paper in high school, and I didn't learn how to write one until a college English class. In high school, I went from regular English 9 to Advanced English 10. Advanced English 9 and College-Bound and regular English 10 learned to write papers. I missed that all so important step. *sighs*

So, as you can probably imagine, I hated writing. In fact, I even told my AP English 12 teacher that I was going to move to a foreign country so I'd never have to write in English again. *laughs* Because I thought I was inept when it came to writing, every time I read something I've written since I've become a writer, I'm surprised and amazed.

Has your writing surprised you? What are your insecurities this month?

August was a surprisingly good month for completing my goals.

I finished editing Forged (The Fate Challenges #2), and it's now with my critique partners. I completed my outline edit of Destined (The Fate Challenges #3), formatted the manuscript, and have started editing it. I'm hoping to finish this edit by November 15, and I'm planning to work on Destined during weekdays.

I've been using weekends to work on Soul Reaper series, and I'm making progress on editing the outlines so I'll be ready to start edits and write books 3-5 eventually. I was hoping to start writing A Soul to Take (Soul Reaper #3) in October, but now I'm thinking I should finish the outlines and edit the books I've already written before writing A Soul to Take, especially if I want to have 1-2 Soul Reaper books published before the end of next year. We'll see how it goes.

A big shout out to Christine Rains for finishing her urban fantasy series Totem. All nine novellas are fantastic reads!

Untethered Realms is gearing up to publish the fourth Elements of Untethered Realms anthology. Spirits in the Water will be released in early October, and my story "The Folding Point" is in it. In August, I was busy reformatting the previous anthologies and getting some images ready for #4. Besides being one of the editors and having a story in the anthology, I am also the final proofreader and formatter. It's so much fun to see all of it come together.

Here are my September goals:
- Continue editing Destined. Ideally, I'd like to be at the midway point by the end of this month.
- Format, proofread, and publish (likely as a preorder for an October 2nd or 3rd release date) Spirits in the Water.
- Continue working on the outlines for Soul Reaper series.

What are your goals for September?

2017 Stats: 99,493 words written and 766,670 words edited

BOOKS READ AND REVIEWED

SPECULATIVE FICTION BOOKS
RELEASING IN SEPTEMBER
Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King
The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding: A Fiendish Arrangement by Alexandra Bracken
Nyxia by Scott Reintgen
Warcross by Marie Lu
Jane, Unlimited by Kristin Cashore
There’s Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins
The Han Agent by Amy Rogers
Fireblood by Elly Blake
Invictus by Ryan Graudin
Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel
Summoner by S.D. Grimm
Zero Point by Adam Quinn
One Dark Throne by Kendare Blake
Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor
Werebiker by Paige Cuccaro

29 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's awesome you guys are starting on your fourth anthology. Cool when groups can put those out, isn't it?
I never wanted to be a writer either, so I can relate!

Christine Rains said...

It amazes me that you didn't intend to be a writer and yet you're an amazing one, and a fabulous editor on top of it. Thank you for the shout-out and for all your help with the Totem series.

M.J. Fifield said...

I never intended to become a writer, either, even though all I ever did in school was write stories. Funny how it all works out, isn't it?

Best of luck with your September goals!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I never wanted to be a speaker. It is funny how it all works out.

Good thing you didn't move to China. Their language is harder than ours by a lot.

cleemckenzie said...

Becoming a writer in the way you did is a great story. I enjoyed reading about it. And I enjoyed learning about your goals and how you've achieved them. Thanks for the reading list. I always love those.

Julie Flanders said...

Wow you did have a great month! And I've started Christine's series and just love it. My favorite from her so far.
Looking forward to the next UR anthology too. :)

emaginette said...

School didn't to me any favors in the English department either. I never felt encouraged and found that living up to a teaches expectations was just a time suck. I did love reading and writing poetry though. They didn't take that away from me.

Anna from elements of emaginette

Loni Townsend said...

Ha! I was terrible at English too! Then again, I'm not sure I've improved much...

Grats on the new anthology! Way cool. :)

Nick Wilford said...

Maybe subconsciously, that worry over not being able to write pushed you to be an even better one. It all worked out! Good luck with all your writing and editing goals. Looking forward to another awesome Untethered anthology.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Wow! That's awesome! Way to go with all of your goals!
Plus, I think it's awesome that you've become a writer despite it being tough when you were younger.
Best wishes on all of your endeavors!

Donna B. McNicol said...

One would never know you never intended to be a writer! Wow!!!

Juneta key said...

I wrote and liked to write as a kid but what I wanted to be was a singer, (can't sing), a cowgirl/horse trainer/rancher, a mother (did not do that either), a business woman (this one I did), an artist (play it to this day). Then around 21 I started writing but for fun and rpg type stuff. 2011 I decided I want to be a writer late in life, so that is what I am working on.

You are so productive you are inspiring. Would never have known you did not want to be a writer. Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

alexia said...

Ha, that's so funny about English class! Aren't you glad you changed your mind? Awesome job on the goals, as usual. I'll second your shout out on the Totem series!!

Natalie Aguirre said...

So very funny that you thought of moving to another country not to write. Glad you're doing so well on your goals. Not surprised.

Chemist Ken said...

I also hated writing up until about ten years ago. Actually, I still hate writing technical papers for work, but writing fiction is fun, at least when the words are flowing.

Chrys Fey said...

Writing for school is a whole other beast and often unpleasant. I'm glad you got past that and are writing now. :)

Good luck with your September goals!

S.A. Larsenッ said...

I love your writing goals graphic. You're always so ambitious. Love it! I always loved writing, just not for assignments during high school.

Cathy Keaton said...

I was just like you--not learning how to write essays until I started college! It's a source of annoyance looking back because I don't get how I missed that (a bad public school?). At least you know why you missed it. I never thought of myself as a good writer back then, either. I even hated reading until I was a junior in high school. So, the old me would never have expected the current me to be pulling my hair out over trying to become a professional fiction author. So funny!

Misha Gerrick said...

Interesting, because I had you pegged as someone who always wanted to write. :-D

Carrie-Anne said...

Good luck with your September goals!

I've been writing since age four, as long as I've known how to write, so I'm the exact opposite of you.

Anonymous said...

I thought the same about myself when it came to writing but for different reasons. I thought I sucked and never imagined writing a book.

dolorah said...

I have always loved writing, but never thought I'd become a writer. Growing up, I thought writers were someone that earned huge sums of money and were world famous. It never occurred to me that they did not start out that way.

Nas said...

I liked writing and used to write but I excelled at science instead of English! Yet here I am! Writing and editing!

Rachna Chhabria said...

I can't believe that you hated writing when you were younger, now you are so prolific. Wow, your writing goals and achievements always give me a severe inferiority complex.

DMS said...

How interesting that you didn't enjoy writing when you were in high school. I definitely wish I learned more of the mechanics of writing when I was in high school. So glad you changed your mind about writing! :)
~Jess

Heather R. Holden said...

Whoa, you've been busy. Congrats on all your August accomplishments! Hope your goals for September go just as well. And wow, I never would've guessed there was once a time where you didn't want to be a writer. Glad you ultimately gave it a chance--your writing's amazing!

Melissa Sugar said...

Wow, you've had an incredibly busy month. There's nothing like progress and success to show those high school English teachers how far you've come - LOL. I never would've wanted to become a writer if I listened to any of my high school English teachers. I HATED writing papers for those classes and the teachers criticized all of my work. They would still criticize it now if they read it. Sometimes I help my kids with their papers and I suggest an opening hook or a catchy opening line and their teachers never like it. I suppose the rules from high school will never help a writer tell a interesting story that captivates a reader. That's my opinion, anyway. I wanted to also congratulate you on all of your accomplishments. You've done really well.

H. R. Sinclair said...

I never intended to be a writer too but I always loved making up and telling stories. And congrats on the next anthology. (Love the cover.)

Ellie Garratt said...

I was always behind in written English and strongly disliked English literature, but I loved to tell stories from a young age. It just took me a long time to make the connection between telling stories and then writing them down.