Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Hero Lost: Mysteries of Death and Life Release #IWSG | May Goals | Bookworm News #specfic

The Insecure Writer's Support Group was created by Alex J. Cavanaugh. May's co-hosts are Michelle Wallace, Nancy Gideon, Tamara Narayan, Liesbet @ Roaming About, and Feather Stone. Follow the other IWSG bloggers or sign up for the blog hop here.
First, thank you for your comments on my previous IWSG post! I've decided to be kinder to myself by focusing on 1-2 projects a day. Sometimes I still think I have to do ALL the projects NOW, but I know I do not.

May's optional question: What is the weirdest/coolest thing you ever had to research for your story? Maps and map making. Creating a map for the Kingdom of Amora made me realize how much I needed one from the start. I plan to redo the maps I've drawn in hopes to make them even better. *crosses fingers*


May 2 was the release date of the next Insecure Writer's Support Group Anthology, Hero Lost: Mysteries of Death and Life. As part of the first anthology, Parallels: Felix Was Here, I know how much of an honor it is to be a part of these anthologies. Congrats to the authors!

Can a lost hero find redemption?

What if Death himself wanted to die? Can deliverance be found on a bloody battlefield? Could the gift of silvering become a prison for those who possessed it? Will an ancient warrior be forever the caretaker of a house of mystery?

Delving into the depths of the tortured hero, twelve authors explore the realms of fantasy in this enthralling and thought-provoking collection. Featuring the talents of Jen Chandler, L. Nahay, Renee Cheung, Roland Yeomans, Elizabeth Seckman, Olga Godim, Yvonne Ventresca, Ellen Jacobson, Sean McLachlan, Erika Beebe, Tyrean Martinson, and Sarah Foster.

Purchase in Print
Purchase the Ebook

Yeah, I totally did not accomplish all my April goals. I am currently caught up on helping my friend with her novella series and am waiting for her to finish the last novella so I can find out what happens. I've been working on editing the stories for the upcoming Untethered Realms' anthology Spirits in the Water. I am also almost finished with my outline of A Soul to Take (Soul Reaper #3) and have started the A-Z Glossary for the Soul Reaper series.

As for The Fate Challenges, I'm hoping to get back to editing it in June. Unfortunately that means the second edition of Reborn and the release of Determined and Marked won't be until July/August instead of May/June. Hopefully it won't take me longer than August to publish them.

So, for May, I've decided to keep my goals simple. My goals include:
- Finish the outline for A Soul to Take. I've written 2-3 sentences for the last few chapters, but I want to expand upon them. So far the outline is over 13,000 words and I have four chapters left to outline.
- Read through and create an A-Z Glossary for the Soul Reaper series. This will include A Soul to Save, A Soul to Kill, A Soul to Reap, and A Soul to Keep. Around 215,000 or so words to read through and write up the main things (names, dates, places, terms, etc.) so I can finish the series (A Soul to Take, A Soul to Give, and A Soul to Bare).
- Edit anything my friend has coming my way for her novella series.
- Edit the stories for Spirits in the Water. We have eleven short stories in this anthology, which will be released in October. So far I've edited two out of the eleven.

What are your May goals?

2017 Stats: 76,231 words written and 342,475 words edited


BOOK READ
Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley

I still haven't written up any reviews lately. I must admit I'm a bit burned out with reviewing books in a more official capacity. As for Robin McKinley's Rose Daughter, I did really like this book--four stars! I read it because of Beauty and the Beast coming out in theaters in March. It has a different take on the "tale as old as time." McKinley has a beautiful way of writing, but I found the poetic prose sometimes got in the way of the action and slowed the pace. Beauty was charming, and I enjoyed the magic and world building.

SPECULATIVE FICTION BOOKS
RELEASING IN MAY
Free Space by Sean Danker
Violet Grenade by Victoria Scott
Owl and the Electric Samurai by Kristi Charish
Assassin’s Fate by Robin Hobb
Hero Lost: Mysteries of Death and Life by Various Authors
Star Wars: Rebel Rising by Beth Revis
Dragon Bones by Jasmine Walt and Ines Johnson
Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton
The Battlemage by Taran Matharu
When Smoke Rains Down by Cecelia Earl

40 comments:

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Love map researching! I, too, had a map created for my MG novel. I plan on having the map grow as the series does. I found the ins and outs of map-making really interesting. I didn't use that in any story, but the information is banked in my head. Good luck with your writing goals!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

There you go - keep it simple. It's still impressive to me you tackle and accomplish so much.
Big congratulations to the Hero Lost authors. You know ho they're feeling right now.

Julie Flanders said...

Yay for being kinder to yourself. That's what I've tried as well and so far it has been what I needed. I hope you have the same experience. I have a feeling you will and will rock your May goals. Good luck!

Nicola said...

I remember Lori (the Squirrel) researching maps - if my mind remembers correctly :) Sounds like a lot of fun.
Don't beat yourself up too much Cherie, you work so hard. Take good care and be kind to 'you'.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Glad to hear that you are keeping your goals simpler. I'm looking forward to slowing down once the play I am co-producing and working at is done in May.

Jennifer Hawes said...

I love old maps! Had my students draw maps for their fictional countries once. You've written/edited a ton this past month! I don't keep track, but I feel I'm making progress.

emaginette said...

Maps area great way to keep everything straight. And some pretty awesome books included maps. I'm thinking Middle Earth for one. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

Nancy Gideon said...

You can't get there from here . . . that's why maps are important. Transportation always gets me: Hero and Heroine leave the station, each going 45 mph, how long will it take to reach the Dark Moment? Who knew math was involved?

Christine Rains said...

Awesome map! And I'm glad you're being kinder to yourself. I plan to start on that after this month. Heh. And a new McKinley book? Must get it!

Shah Wharton said...

Your being kind to yourself is my hectic nightmare. lol. I do these hops and come out feeling a mixture of inspired and utterly humbled by the amazing work ethics and superhuman abilities of some of you!

As for maps - I can't read one and I've never even dared think of making one. But this is my sister's idea of heaven. lol. X

Shah X
shahwharton.com

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Maps are so neat.

Just keep resetting your goals. I know I do.

You know, it's interesting that all of the authors in Hero Lost are new. There were no repeats from last year.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Making logical goals is my fail. I make goals like- lose 30 pound by next week and then wonder why I am always frustrated. Wise woman to make wise goals.

Crystal Collier said...

Hah! You haven't reviewed your last book... I'm 4 behind. Here's to catching up when it's convenient, eh? (Maybe tomorrow, lol.) Keep on keepin!

M.J. Fifield said...

I've been meaning to research the map making, so I could have something proper and not just the hand-drawn thing I have now. May I ask what program/app/whatever did you use?

Best of luck with your May goals!

Anonymous said...

April wasn't good for my goals either. I got one and it was finding a beta reader, so not much work on my part.
Good luck with May. May it be kinder to both of us.

Gwen Gardner said...

Do you actually draw the maps with no software? Because either way, they're really good. I appreciate a map in my reading to help anchor myself to place.

Have a great week, Cherie!

Laura Clipson said...

Good luck on your goals! I really need to draw a map for my novel, but I keep putting it off - I really struggle with that aspect of worldbuilding!

Chemist Ken said...

You can never have too many maps. I'd add one to my book if it didn't take place in Chicago instead of a fantasy location.

Sarah Foster said...

Having a lot of projects at once can definitely be overwhelming! Being kinder to yourself sounds like a good idea. Good luck with your goals!

Angela Brown said...

It's good to give yourself permission to take a break and not be too hard on yourself. I know how you feel when it comes to being your own toughest critic.

Do what you can with your goals and enjoy yourself as much as possible.

Juneta key said...

You are inspiring. You always put me to shame even when you think you've not done well. Have fun and I know you'll figure it out.
' Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

M Pax said...

The maps you made are so cool. You still accomplished a lot for April. I have to get caught up on the novella series you mentioned. The first one really intrigued me.

I had no real goals authorwise for April. I let everything go as I started a new job and let myself just do that. Now that I'm on my 4 day work weeks, I can get down to business. Yay.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Map research is really cool - and way to go with your map!
I don't draw well so I just look at maps, make chicken scratch versions of my own, and only use them for a working reference.
Way to go with your editing and writing!

Cathrina Constantine said...

WOW, what an awesome map, Cherie. Great job if you ask me.

Keep up the great work!

Erika Beebe said...

I love maps too! I love your goals. I wish you the best of luck accomplishing all of them. My goal for the month is to survive the month with my wits! I have the book release and I also bought a house...sigh...I guess. I love busy? Lol happy IWSG day :)

Olga Godim said...

I love imaginary maps in fantasy. I think all of us, fantasy writers, could benefit from a workshop on map-making.

Unknown said...

Impressive amount of work done this year! :-) It's always good though to be kind to yourself!

I wish I could draw maps like those...especially since I'm working on a fairy tale series that I drew up a crude map for. *sigh* I think I'll have to hire someone to draw me a good one! lol.

dolorah said...

Map making would be really hard. I tried it once. Once. And look at what an awesome worker you are.

Tamara Narayan said...

Making a map of a made-up place sounds difficult. Good luck. My goal for May is to back away from blogging and focus more on writing. So far I am failing spectacularly.

DMS said...

Map researching sounds like tons of fun. :) It sounds hard, but rewarding!

Glad you are being kinder to yourself and not making yourself too crazy with your goals. I have a lot to do this month. Most of it involves researching and figuring things out in one way or another. My writing to do list is very long- but I am hoping to make a little progress every day. Good luck to you, too! :)
~Jess

erica and christy said...

You included my book!! You are so sweet!!!! Thank you! <3 xoxoxo I'm glad you're simplifying for your sanity. Also... map making. Now I want to learn! (And you should check out vellum. You don't have to pay until you decide you want to use it, so you can experiment for free!) Christy

Cathy Keaton said...

You drew that map yourself? That is so cool! I've never designed enough of a fantasy world to have to design a landmass for it.

Michelle Wallace said...

I've never done any map research. Did you draw the map?
The Kingdom of Amora...looks and sounds fascinating!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I always draw a map of my fantasy worlds even if they won't be included in the book because I'm a terrible artist but they help me keep track of distances and directions in the plot

Heather R. Holden said...

Keeping things simple is something I always have to remind myself, too. Hope this helps you achieve your May goals!

And wow, that map is so impressive. Even though I'm an artist, illustrating something like that would really trip me up, I think. Best of luck with the redo!

New Release Books said...

Maps are totally my thing. I depend on them when I go travelling. You did awesome for April. All the best!

Cher Green said...

Nice map. And, congrats to all of the anthology authors. Goals! I know I keep forgetting something. :) Working on getting out of this rut I'm in. On the bright side, "I QUIT SMOKING!" I think that in itself has thrown me way off course, but I'm trying my best to get back on track. Happy May!

The Happy Whisk said...

Simple is best, says the girl who used to own too many waffle makers. Thanks for commenting and saying hi. Cheers and boogie boogie.

Mark said...

I love the map, so cool! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the Hero Lost mention! Your map is beautiful!
If I remember correctly, I much preferred Robin McKinley's original retelling, titled Beauty, which was released in 1978. I was ecstatic when she revisited the story with Rose Daughter (1997), but it lacked something that had made the first one beautiful. Did you read both versions? (to add to your growing list- I'm sorry!)