Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Four Steps Forward, Two Steps Back #IWSG

The IWSG was created by Alex J. Cavanaugh. April's co-hosts are Christopher D. Votey, Madeline Mora-Summonte, Fundy Blue, and Chrys Fey. Visit the other IWSG bloggers here.
The "steps" I am alluding to in this post's title involve months. It's already April, and yet I'm already two months behind in my goals. I must admit it is making me question (almost) everything. If I complete half my goals this month, it'll be a miracle. So insecurity, I'm feeling it in spades this month.

April's IWSG question: Have you taken advantage of the annual A to Z Challenge in terms of marketing, networking, publicity for your book? What were the results? I did use the A to Z Challenge one year to create a flash fiction book set in my fictional world of Foxwick and its neighbors. I've sold 30 copies of A to Z Flashes of Foxwick and have given away 2269 copies. Not bad for a collection less than 10,000 words.

As for my March goals, I pretty much still have everything left over from March to do in April. I did finish editing a friend's novel, and yesterday (April 4), I finished writing A Soul to Keep (Soul Reaper #2). The novel, my ninth completed one, came in just under 80,000 words.

Despite my April goals, I would do well if I could remember I'm not a full-time writer. I tend to forget that. So we'll just see what I can do this month.

Here is my to-do list for April:
- Edit two novellas for a friend.
- Edit Marked. This goal will contain a content edit, a line edit, and a Kindle proofread.
- Edit Determined. This goal will contain a line edit and a Kindle proofread.
- Outline A Soul to Take (Soul Reaper #3).
- Create mock-up covers for Reborn, Determined, Marked, Forged, and Destined.
- Read through and create a glossary for the Soul Reaper series. I have around 217,000 to read through so I can catch up where I'm heading in the series. I know I've gotten details wrong, so it's important not to make things worse. *sighs* Yes, I should have taken better notes all along. Next series, I promise.

I don't expect to get through that last goal this month, but we'll see.

2017 Stats: 61,770 words written and 275,965 words edited

In March, I read Alex J. Cavanaugh's CassaDawn short story. I really liked it. It's a fun read, although I would have liked a little more buildup surrounding Byron's conflict. I will write a proper review soon. I'm nearing the end of Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley. It has such beautiful descriptions, although I wished for more action. I've enjoyed how it plays off the Beauty and the Beast tale.

Have you seen the Beauty and the Beast movie? We went the Saturday after it premiered. It was magical.

SPECULATIVE FICTION BOOKS
RELEASING IN APRIL
Toward a Secret Sky by Heather Maclean
Red Sister by Mark Lawrence
Gauntlet by Holly Jennings
The Witchwood Crown by Tad Williams
Tyrant’s Throne by Sebastien de Castell
Skullsworn by Brian Staveley
Long Black Veil by Jennifer Finney Boylan
The Castaways by Jessika Fleck
Glass Faerie by Rachel Morgan
Defy the Stars by Claudia Gray
The Breaking Light by Heather Hansen
True North by L.E. Sterling
Given to the Sea by Mindy McGinnis
Rescued by the Space Pirate by Nina Croft
Stolen by the Space Pirate by Nina Croft
Saving the Space Pirate by Nina Croft
Star Struck by Kalli Lanford
Falling for the Billionaire Wolf and His Baby by Sasha Summers
Drakon’s Prey by N.J. Walters
Once Bitten by Heather McCorkle
Brimstone by Cherie Priest
Locked Tight by Susan Kaye Quinn

37 comments:

Hart Johnson said...

I'm way behind too, but your list is so impressive I am going to object to you claimimg you are behind. You are still getting tons done, methinks.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I agree with Hart. You are incredibly productive so don't beat yourself up so much. And you're right, you aren't a full-time writer, so you need to be realistic. Life is not all work. Having time to relax is important too.

Crystal Collier said...

Behind or not, you're still making progress, and I'd count that as a success. So, hey, don't get too down on yourself. You're kicking trash!

Sarah Foster said...

I'd say you still got a lot done! I'm way behind in my goals, especially for reading.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you enjoyed it! Sorry, I kind of ran out of word count to make it more.
I remember when you posted Flashes of Foxwick.
Considering you're not a full time writer, you still get an impressive amount done.

Shah Wharton said...

You've done incredibly well and work extremely hard. I have had to stop most non-uni work until I get my M.A. because I can't do as much as you. It'll get done. It's about doing it well and enjoying the process. Otherwise, what's the point? X

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That glossary is going to be massive. I can understand why that's a task you're not eager to tackle.

cleemckenzie said...

So glad I'm not the only one still ticking off the March-todo things. Maybe I need to set my expectations lower and stop all of this madness! :-)

Rachna Chhabria said...

I'm way behind my writing goals, I need to get the word count going, else another month will pass and my story wouldn't have moved forward at all!

M.J. Fifield said...

I personally always seem to have a two steps forward, four steps back thing going on...

Best of luck with your April goals—and congrats on completing your latest novel. That's awesome!

Julie Flanders said...

I'm sorry you're feeling insecure about your goals but I agree with other comments that you are still making progress so give yourself a pat on the back for that. You'll get there, I've no doubt.
I remember your Flashes Challenge - that was fun!

Donna B. McNicol said...

You're not alone in being behind in goals - in fact, my IWSG post was "Compromise", because of that exact fact. I thought I was ahead of the game, getting all my A-Z posts written and scheduled. But I find myself spending half the day replying to comments on my blog and posting comments on others. LOL!

D: Dominica & D-Day Museum
DB McNicol, author & traveler
Theme: Oh, the places we will go!

Nicola said...

You're still doing great, Cherie!! Since last November, I've been two steps forward, four steps back. I do hope things improve! But I'm still smiling - even though some days it's more of a grimmace :) Take care.

Juneta key said...

I think you do great with your writing. I did see the movie, loved it and even had tears at the end. *blushes*
' Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

Anonymous said...

Getting behind on months is rough. It makes you panic about how to catch up. But seriously, you're like a rock star with your goals. I'm always impressed with the way you crank things out.

Cathrina Constantine said...

We saw The Beauty and the Beast last week. I agree, it was magical and I loved it.

I understand you're behind with your goals, and that can be exasperating, but as far as my writing is concerned you're ahead of me by about 59,000 words...LOL...

Christine Rains said...

Even though you're behind, you've done so much! You are awesome. I haven't seen Beauty and the Beast yet. I don't think I'll get a chance to go unless I go by myself and that's unlikely.

Carrie-Anne said...

I'm also behind on most of my goals. It's hard to get back into the swing of things once you've taken time out to edit other projects, or are going back and forth between things. I've been having so many problems finding motivation lately.

Chemist Ken said...

Your productivity is amazing! Now I really feel like a slow writer.

Sandra Cox said...

You've got a lot on your plate!
We're like construction workers. We may not get it done on the assigned date but we do get it done;)

Chris Votey said...

I'm a few weeks behind on my current WIP, and it has me frustrated. Only because this book HAS to do well. This is my last chance to have a life, as I am disabled, and might soon be on the streets. I'm hoping if I can give something of value to writers, they will in turn buy it. I want to earn my way out of my predicament. I tell you all of this, that in some ways, I understand what you're going through. You want to do so many great things, and yet few things ever go as planned. I'm still working hard, its all any of us can do.

erica and christy said...

OH MY GOSH! Your list of goals for April would take me the year. And you're not a full-time writer??? You've amazed me. I procrastinate and it's not good for my health or my novels. I need to get ahead of the game, but I'm always behind. Woke up feeling hugely insecure this morning. I'm excited to hear how you progress this month! Christy

emaginette said...

Looks like life is hopping for you. Hang in there. You've chosen to do a load of work, but it will be worth it in the end. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

Cherie Colyer said...

I'm impressed by your goals. Mine are much more general.
I haven't seen Beauty and the Beast, but it's on my want to see list.

DMS said...

I can completely relate to being far behind on my to do list. I have to go through mine next week and get everything in order. I know off the top of my head that I am behind. But, like you, I am still making progress!

Good luck!
~Jess

Unknown said...

Am always amazed by all of your goals and how you work through them. Big congrats on A Soul to Keep! I can totally relate to the struggle of keeping up with writing goals. It seems like a universal writing delima. But you always do so well with it. :) :)

alexia said...

You are really good at having an organized schedule and setting goals, but from time to time we all get behind. Don't sweat it too much.

Dawn Simon said...

I'm impressed with all you accomplish! Congrats on finishing your ninth novel! That's huge! :)

Sandra Cox said...

Over 2K downloads of Foxwick! Awesome!
And I did see Beauty and The Beast:)

Michelle Wallace said...

You're behind in your goals but your work is STILL impressive, Cherie!
Over 2K downloads of Foxwick? Holy Crapoly! Awesome.

Tyrean Martinson said...

I loved Beauty and the Beast as a movie - I love the animated one, too. :) It's one of my favorite fairy tales, but Disney brought in the library and reading element that I really love.
I think you're amazing with all of the writing and editing you are getting done! Wow! I think editing is super hard, even if it is with someone else's work. I guess if you know how much editing they want and you have a comfortable working relationship, then it could work well. However, I always feel worried that I'm going to hurt feelings or get someone frustrated.

Arlee Bird said...

Even if your 10,000 word collection was given away to that many people and a fair percentage read what they got for free, that makes for a nice teaser to lure them to purchase future works. The way I see it, a book given away is better than a book never published, never finished, or never started.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Heather R. Holden said...

Sorry you're falling behind on your goals and are feeling insecure as result. (I can relate far too well to that!) Best of luck catching up on your to-do list!

Sandra Cox said...

Happy Easter, Cherie.

M Pax said...

How's April going? I'm majorly far behind. Starting the new job left me no time for anything else. But I give myself a pass. This week I start my 32 hour weeks. Yay! I'll catch up soon... now that my internet and computer problems have been hammered out. Good luck with your goals! You'll get there. Just keep looking ahead.

Tamara Narayan said...

I did go see Beauty and the Beast with my family and enjoyed it. But knowing that live action versions of all the Disney princess movies are on the horizon kind of makes me groan. I'm ready for some new stories. I thought my girls had outgrown these things, but nope.

Y is for the Yellowstone Conspiracy

Vanessa Morgan said...

Nine completed novels is a lot. You should be proud of yourself. Even when you feel you're behind on your goals, you've actually accomplished a lot already.