Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Bookworm News


BOOKS READ

Grimm: The Icy Touch by John Shirley
Sleeping Jenny by Aubrie Dionne
Sleepy Hollow: Children of the Revolution by Keith R.A. DeCandido
The Pescetarian Plan: The Vegetarian + Seafood Way to Lose Weight and Love Your Food by Janis Jibrin, recipes by Sidra Forman
Psych: Mind-altering Murder by William Rabkin
Of Fire and Ash by Amber Argyle

BOOK REVIEWS

Grimm: The Icy Touch by John Shirley
The past comes to haunt Nick Burkhardt in John Shirley's Grimm: The Icy Touch. As a big fan of the TV show Grimm, I was so excited to find out there were TV tie-in books to the series. The storyline for this novel didn't disappoint; however, I thought the characterizations of the characters weren't quite what they are from the show. Shirley over-exaggerated the characters a bit too much. The book felt overwritten at times. That said, I did enjoy the plot in itself. I had to know what would happen and felt the pace was good and suspenseful. Although Grimm: The Icy Touch by John Shirley could've been better, I am looking forward to reading more Grimm books.

Sleeping Jenny by Aubrie Dionne
Jenny's dreams lie a future away in Aubrie Dionne's Sleeping Jenny. I felt for Jenny's plight. Being cryogenically frozen until there is a cure for her type of cancer and not knowing what year or century you'd wake up in or if you'd wake up at all is a terrifying prospect for anyone. I loved how Dionne balanced Jenny's fears and hopes. Jenny felt real in her futuristic world. I enjoyed the world-building on how the planet became what it was. The story was fast paced and action packed. And when I got to the end, all I wanted to do was read the next book, which unfortunately isn't available yet. I love Aubrie Dionne's work, and Sleeping Jenny is perhaps my new favorite of her books.

By the way, I also love how the story ties in with Dionne's other series Paradise Reclaimed (Young Adult Science Fiction Romance) and A New Dawn (Science Fiction Romance).

Sleepy Hollow: Children of the Revolution by Keith R.A. DeCandido
Finding the medal awarded to Ichabod Crane could protect Sleepy Hollow from evil in Keith R.A. DeCandido's Sleepy Hollow: Children of the Revolution. I love the TV show Sleepy Hollow, so as soon as I discovered there was a TV tie-in book I had to read it. DeCandido has written probably the best TV tie-in book I've ever read. The characters jumped to life from the page and sounded just like they do in the show. The blend of history with present was seamless. The plot moved forward at a fast pace. I felt like I was watching the show instead of reading at times. Sleepy Hollow: Children of the Revolution by Keith R.A. DeCandido is perfect for fans of the show and anyone else who enjoys a great story. I really hope there will be more Sleepy Hollow books in the future.

The Pescetarian Plan by Janis Jibrin, recipes by Sidra Forman
Janis Jibrin's The Pescetarian Plan will having you thinking of a different way to eat better and still enjoy food. I haven't been a very healthy eater, despite giving up mammals in 1998 and all meats in 2005 until I added back in fish and seafood in August 2013. I was more carb-ivore than vegetarian and then pescetarian. But this book makes me excited to be a pescetarian. With Jibrin's dietitian background and scientific research to back up her claims, she has crafted a basic way for people to eat more healthy, whether their intentions are to lose weight or maintain weight or just feel better about themselves. The steps are clear and understandable, and I love that you don't have to do everything at once. It's an ongoing process. The book also comes with tons of recipes created by Sidra Forman that I'm eager to try out as well as a section on how to cook fish for the cooking challenged. Jibrin also wrote a section on fishing and its impact to the environment, so the reader can find the best fish for them and the Earth. I highly recommend The Pescetarian Plan by Janis Jibrin and will continue to use this book in the future. 

Psych: Mind-altering Murder by William Rabkin
Shawn's obsession with a new case may mean the end of Shawn's partnership with Gus in William Rabkin's Psych: Mind-altering Murder. I'm a huge fan of Psych and still can't believe the series is over. Now I've read the last book in the TV tie-in series, and I have to say it is the best of the five books written. Shawn is still his hyper yet extremely intelligent and observant self, yet this book shows a lot of the growth Shawn had throughout the TV series. The characters came to life on the page, and the fast paced plot kept me turning the pages to find out what would happen next. If you're a fan of the show, then you won't want to miss out on reading Psych: Mind-altering Murder by William Rabkin.

Loose Corset by Christine Rains
Morgan's online role-playing game life comes to a head against reality in Christine Rains' Loose Corset. The strength in this novella lies with the characters. Morgan is smart and beautiful yet insecure and comes across as very real. Gorgeous Dean is a very sexy match for her, and yet I worried their real life obligations would get in the way of their budding desires. I laughed so many times at the geeky jokes Rains has sprinkled throughout. For erotica, the sex was steamy and inventive, but the plot was really what drew me in. I had to know what would happen to Morgan and Dean. Loose Corset by Christine Rains is a fun, steamy affair that'll titillate the geek in all of us.

By the way, I was lucky enough to read early drafts last year of all the Dice and Debauchery series. They're all funny and sexy and great reads.

Of Fire and Ash by Amber Argyle
Nelay must never acknowledge the fairies she sees or the consequences will be great in Amber Argyle's Of Fire and Ash, a prequel to Summer Queen. Nelay seems more adult than her young nine years, but growing up in the harsh and unforgiving desert has stripped away any childhood she may have had. What I love most of Argyle's work is her world-building and this novella is no exception. She packs a lot in and makes the setting and people come alive. I particularly loved her descriptions of the fairies Nelay can see. My heart breaks for Nelay and her family. Of Fire and Ash by Amber Argyle is a powerful and heartbreaking story. I'm now even more excited to read Summer Queen coming out later this year.

PROMO

Geek girl Morgan Reid has been to many conventions, but none that had her wishing it would never end.

Dressed as their characters from the online game Steampunk Quest, Morgan and her best friend meet the other players for the first time in real life. Morgan's attraction to the gorgeous Dean Bradley is immediate, making it difficult to breathe in her tight corset. Even after a few dice shattering orgasms, she doesn't believe this can be anything more than a con fling. But Dean is making her feel things she's only read about in books. Can Morgan let go of her cool-headed logic and allow herself to fall completely for the perfect geek guy?

Purchase links: Amazon / Nook / Ellora's Cave / Kobo

Christine Rains is a writer, blogger, and geek mom. Please visit her website and blog.

BOOKS RELEASED IN JANUARY

Woven by David Powers King and Michael Jensen
Loose Corset by Christine Rains
The Angel Killer by Lisa Voisin
Firefight by Brandon Sanderson
Beautiful Redemption by Jamie McGuire
Gun Street Girl by Adrian McKinty
Quarry’s Choice by Max Allan Collins
52 Likes by Medeia Sharif
Lady Honor’s Debt by Maggi Andersen
All It Takes by Clare Dugmore
Of Fire and Ash by Amber Argyle

18 comments:

Heather R. Holden said...

Wow, so many books! Loose Corset is one I definitely plan to check out sometime. Christine is such a great writer!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations, Christine!
So few people eat healthy these days. I think I'm the only one in my office who doesn't go out for fast food for lunch.

Christine Rains said...

Thank you for shouting out and the awesome review. :) I really liked Aubrie's newest book too.

Thanks Heather and Alex! :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

Always love seeing what you read. I really like Grimm too. Too bad the tie-in book wasn't better. And congrats to Christine!

Chrys Fey said...

Sleeping Jenny sounds good. And I can't wait to read Christine's book! :)

Elizabeth Seckman said...

There are so many books, and that's a good thing!

M Pax said...

I didn't know those shows had book series. I watch them both. I'll have to check out that cookbook. Always looking for healthy new recipes.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Congrats to Christine.

Psych was a fun show.

dolorah said...

Didn't know about the TV series books. Weird. I can only either watch the show, or read the book. I almost always like books better. That was a lot of reading, and the reviews were helpful.

Cathy Keaton said...

Good luck with your new book, Christine! :)

DMS said...

Looks like you read some great books! They are all new to me, so thanks for the reviews. Best of luck to Christine!
~Jess

Nicola said...

I must say, I enjoy reading just as much as writing and I love to cook!!! Wishing you every success this year, Christine.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for mentioning my book.

I'd like to read Loose Corset.

Jack said...

Looks like you're off to a great start on your reading list!

cleemckenzie said...

That's quite a list. Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you think of these.

Loni Townsend said...

Sounds like a great collection of books you've read. I'm going to have to check some of those out.

klahanie said...

Hi Cherie,

Yes, I'm actually here. My slow computer finally got me here. You sure have quite the reading list. I shall let Penny have a look at this and she can tell me what she recommends.

Great shout out for the lovely Christine.

Gary :)

Stephanie Faris said...

Great books! I don't like vegetables, so if I gave up meat and chicken, I'd be a carbovore, like you were!