Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Banned Books Week (September 25 - October 2, 2010)


From September 25-October 2, 2010, it is banned books week. One of my favorite quotes about books comes from Oscar Wilde: "There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written." I've always loved that quote, and I think it is so true. Now, I wouldn't really recommend banning badly written books, but that's another story altogether.

I would have thought that by the year 2010, we would have more sense not to ban books. Why would we want to limit anyone the choice to read? True, there is such a thing as age appropriate books. I wouldn't want my child (if I had children) reading the Kama Sutra until they were eighteen, although I have little problem with them reading To Kill a Mockingbird or Stephen King. And, if I ever have children, they must read Harry Potter.

I don't believe books should be censored for language, violence, religion, or sex as long as it is true to the book. We should be encouraging people to read instead of saying, "Read This, Not That." How can we grow and open our minds without books?

Here are the Books Banned or Challenged in 2009-2010 according to the ALA. Check the list. How many have you read? By the way, I really like their robots. It's what we'll all be if we ban books. Fight for humanity! *grins*

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I can't believe someone tried to ban the dictionary! o_O