Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wednesday's Writing Update

This week has definitely been a busy and eventful one in my writing life.

On Sunday, I wrote "Freak Show." It's a horror short story about a child monster, who features later in life in Once Upon a December Nightmare. The story turned out to be approximately 1800 words, and I submitted it on Tuesday to Pill Hill Press's Bloody Carnival. I let my sister read it, and she called it "creepy," so I believe I did my job.

On Monday, I came home from work to quite a surprise. I had two contributor copies of the Virginia English Bulletin, which included my third place winning story "A Lesson Learned" in it. I hadn't heard from them, since I won third place, so I forgot that my story would be in the next issue of the Virginia English Bulletin (Vol. 60, No. 1), and I didn't know I would receive contributor's copies either.

Yesterday, I worked more on my short story "Government Project 103-1-10." It's a lot of fun to write. I hope to finish it before the week is out and submit it to Pill Hill Press's Monster Mash. In "Government Project 103-1-10," a vampire, Frankenstein's monster, werewolf, and zombie are trying to escape their prison. The story is told by each character as they move the story forward.

I received my ARC (advanced reader copy) of Once Upon a December Nightmare yesterday. Even though the ebook isn't available yet, you can pre-order it here.



Today, I hope to work more on "Government Project 103-1-10."

I also decided to create a review blog for the book reviews I write. In the next couple weeks, I'll slowly be transferring old reviews to the blog (Surrounded by Books Reviews) and putting up new reviews in it. You can find the blog here.

Tomorrow, I will be attending my Valley Writers meeting. This meeting is special because we're having literary agent Dawn Dowdle speak with us. It'll be the first time I get to meet a literary agent!

And, don't forget about Flash Fiction Fridays. This month, I'm introducing the characters of Once Upon a December Nightmare in flash fiction.

Last month, I worked on short stories, a novel, and a novella. This month, I've had so many short stories I wanted to write that I've put aside my novel and novella. I plan to work on just novels mainly in September. In October, I will be planning out my NaNoWriMo novel and catching up on whatever else in writing needs to be accomplished in October and November, since November is strictly writing my NaNo novel.I can't believe it is less than three months to NaNo! Where has time gone?

I hope everyone has a good rest of the week. I'll let you know if I hear about any of my submissions. I should know about a few of them in the next few weeks. *crosses fingers*

No comments: