Monday, February 22, 2010

Writing Contest

Today I submitted my contest entry for Roanoke Valley's BIG READ writing contest. The object of the contest was to write an alternative ending to A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines. Here is a small blurb of my story:  As Jefferson walks to the electric chair with his head held high, Grant realizes that he must do the same. The teacher learns a lesson in this alternative ending to Ernest J. Gaines's A Lesson Before Dying.

I don't usually enter writing contests, but I wanted to read the novel for the Big Read. I wrote the ending that I thought fit the story better than the original one. I thought Gaines's ending was a bit of a cop out, and I was disappointed because nothing really seemed to change in the protagonist, Grant Wiggins.

There will be three top prizes in the two categories (students and adults). Plus, the winning entries will be published in a literary magazine. If I don't win, then I'll put up my story on my blog. I should know by March 5, 2010.

In other news, I finally got my car out of the driveway after over two weeks. I really hope we don't get any more significant snow...or any more snow really.

Now, I really need to get working on my Atlantis story. The deadline is February 28, 2010. I must finish it by Wednesday or Thursday, so my critique buddies and read through it and give me time to fix it and submit it. I really hope I get it done in time. *crosses fingers*

2 comments:

Aubrie said...

Good luck with the competition entry (it was very very good) and your Atlantis story! I have time to read it on Wed and Thurs. Friday I work all day so I wouldn't be able to get to it until the evening.

Did your car start right away?

Cherie Reich said...

Thank you! I received an email to say that I was the first person to submit an entry. Woohoo! Now, if just two more people submit something, then I'm guaranteed to win. *laughs*

The goal is to finish the story by Wednesday, so I'm pushing for that.

And, yes, my car started right away. It was a little hard getting it out at first. The wheels spun a lot, but it finally regained traction. I'm so glad to have my car back.