Friday, September 16, 2011

#fridayflash "The Boy Who Was Once a God"


*Once again, I'm delving into the future of Amora and the Phoenix Trilogy but before the Last Trilogy. You can blame Apenth. He's an unyielding muse.*




The Boy Who Was Once a God

"Alyxander, he's waiting."

I cringed at that name. Why couldn't the woman call me Apenth as I asked? It didn't matter, I told myself, but it did. My fingers tightened upon the railing. I longed to jump off it, but I'd probably end up breaking a leg.

"Sir?"

"Just a moment, Kalina. Don't you have some dusting to do?"

The tension released in my shoulders when she left.

From the house on Palamartia Hill, I saw my temple, or what remained. A few leftover columns stood erect. The dark blotch of the central building was untouched. I remembered when it was white and gleamed in the sunshine.

It's no more, Apenth. You knew the price.

I ripped my gaze away from my pride and joy and left a piece of my heart with it.

My boots clomped along the marble floor. I faltered when I saw the Amoran Presidential Uniform. A lump formed in my throat at the triple-starred phoenix emblem on his chest. He turned his hawk-like nose toward me. His shoulders squared and form erect as if he'd attached a board permanently to his back.

"It's time for you to join up, son. The President has advised me to enroll you in the Amoran Guard."  

"I know, father." And I did. I'd just hoped he could prevent it. Stop the impending visions. I didn't want to harm her. The girl with the black-blue hair and phoenix birthmark. I couldn't.

But I would.

5 comments:

C D Meetens said...

I absolutely love reading about this world and these characters. This really makes me want to know more about Apenth and Amora and the girl, and why Apenth will hurt her.

Anonymous said...

Very cool world. Very visual.

Nicole Zoltack said...

I didn't want to harm her. The girl with the black-blue hair and phoenix birthmark. I couldn't.

But I would.

Just awesome, especially these last lines!

Miranda Hardy said...

This is the first piece I've read from you, and I love it. Now, I'll have to search for more.

Christine Rains said...

Ooh, ominous. *grins* Apenth is keeping a firm hold of you!