Thursday, April 14, 2011

Personal Thursdays: L is for Lion Tamer


In fifth grade, we were asked to draw a picture of ourselves in the occupation we wanted to do when we grew up. As an eleven year old, it was a daunting task. What do I want to be when I grow up? In fact, I found the answer only within the last year or two (i.e. be a writer), but when I was eleven, it seemed like a much harder question to answer.

I ran through many ideas, but the picture I drew was of my being a lion tamer. Yes, you read that correctly. I wanted to be a lion tamer. No, unfortunately, I don’t know where that picture when to.

I would’ve given anything to work with big cats. They’re majestic, beautiful, powerful, and so cute. Okay, I would’ve likely been eaten while trying to hug it. Oh, well. Now, I tame little cats…or rather they tame me. 

 
I suppose writing isn’t too different than being a lion tamer. You have a majestic, beautiful, powerful idea, and you have to find a way to tame it and put it on the page without it eating you alive.

So perhaps I’m a bit of a lion tamer after all. 


10 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

There's no taming those little cats!

Christine Rains said...

*LOL* Love this post!

I read a great post by Yasmine Galenorn this morning about how she became a writer with no lucky breaks. It's very inspirational. Gives me hope! (http://yasminegalenorn.livejournal.com/131491.html)

PK HREZO said...

Perfect analogy. I love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, they're so cute. I'm a cat lover myself. Great post and analogy. Thank you for sharing.

Jen said...

One of my friends dressed up as a lion tamer once. I've been scarred for life. Seriously tight pants.... Great post!

TL Conway said...

Oh! Very nice analogy! You're right--we have to tame our ms to become the story we know it can be. As for cats, I can't say. I have a dog. We tame each other. :)

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Great analogy! And I love cats, too. They were featured on my A to Z for L and M. :)

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

very fantastic,
a take on l about fiction characters,
love it.

well done.

Susan Oloier said...

How original and great--a lion tamer!
Love the pics of your cats.

Gujjari said...

Nice see you in A2Z blog fest.

Nice post about human life goals.

Powerful idea and can change the life.

I am following your blog from now.
Please visit my blog and give your valuable comments on post. If you like, please follow my blog.

Thanks and regards,

http://mydaughtersdreams.blogpsot.com