Wednesday, June 6, 2018

What Is in a Name #IWSG | Fate of The Fate Challenges

The Insecure Writer's Support Group was created by Alex J. Cavanaugh. June's co-hosts are Beverly Stowe McClure, Tyrean Martinson, and Ellen @ The Cynical Sailor. For a list of the other IWSG posters, click here.
OPTIONAL IWSG Day Question: What's harder for you to come up with, book titles or character names? For me, character names. I tend to land on a book title much easier than come up with however many character names I need, especially characters' last names. I'm terrible figuring out last names and that's the reason why no one in The Fate Challenges has them. LOL!

What are your insecurities this month?

Last month went fairly well, despite beating my head against the wall trying to create the perfect file and cover for the print version of Elements of Untethered Realms. I spent way too many hours on it, but I'm so pleased with how it turned out. It's one beautiful book. This month's goal is to proofread at least half, if not all, of the 570 pages (242,000+ words) in Elements of Untethered Realms.

What are your goals for June?

2018 Stats
20,257 words written
17,708 words edited
81,684 friends' words edited

If you read my newsletter, you've already read this part...

This year, especially in May, I've been thinking about where I want to take my writing, particularly concerning The Fate Challenges and my current passion leaning toward science fiction rather than fantasy. The thinking involved math too.

If I can rewrite/edit an average of 1,000 words per hour and proofread 2,000 words per hour, it'll take me around 260 hours to finish Forged and 360 hours to finish Destined. 620 hours, not including the time it takes for my critique partners to edit Destined, wouldn't be too bad if I could work 20-40 hours a week on it. With a full-time job and health problems, which cause low energy levels, 20-40 hours a week won't be happening anytime soon. Plus, there is the passion part too. I stand by my plans for The Fate Challenges, but I want to start writing science fiction sooner rather than later. The more time I spend with The Fate Challenges, the less I'll have for what I really want to write.

So how much time do I think I can give to The Fate Challenges a week? I've settled on 2-3 hours, which I could either do in thirty-minute intervals throughout the work week or all in one day, depending on my energy levels. In theory, I should have time to work on science fiction too, if I limit how long I work on The Fate Challenges.

At 2.5 hours a week, it'll take me nearly five years to complete Forged and Destined. I don't want future readers to continue to wait that long as some readers have already waited over four years for Forged. With that in mind, I've made the decision to unpublish Reborn on retailers/Wattpad, Determined from my website, and Marked from retailers. I will do so after Labor Day (US) as I will need time to update websites and such.

After Untethered Realms publishes Elements of Untethered Realms and I'm finished writing my story for Untethered Worlds Anthology #1, I plan to start working on The Fate Challenges again (near the end of this year, early next year). I'll likely start at the beginning with a light edit on Reborn, Determined, and Marked before continuing on with Forged and Destined. When I'm at the proofreading stages for Destined, I plan to start publishing the series again. Perhaps the stories will be re-titled too. I'll keep you all updated as who knows what the publishing world, or the world in general, will look like in the next 5-6 years.

Though I am sorry it'll take much, much longer to complete The Fate Challenges, I must admit I feel good about this decision, especially since it means I'll be able to start working on science fiction later this year. Right now I plan to start on a duology set around a 1,000 years in the future on Mars and Earth. The idea came to me while reading an article on SpaceX. You can use your imagination to fill in the details as I won't say much more. Yet.

43 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sometimes stories don't go as planned due to time. If the science fiction story is calling, write that now.
I guess I'm either lucky or I cheated - none of my characters have last names.

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Love your reasoning for not having character last names! I bet it works, though. Your second paragraph really hit home for me. Please know that you are not alone in having to deal with life while trying to write. I get so discouraged sometimes, and lately that's gotten worse. But what I also hear in your piece is your love for this craft. It will work out. This is your journey and yours is really cool for you. :)

Christine Rains said...

You made me laugh as to why none of your characters have last names! :) Book titles drive me up the wall... as you well know. Heh. EoUR is absolutely beautiful. You did a stupendous job. I know it's difficult to put projects aside, but I can't wait to read some more sci-fi from you.

CV Grehan said...

No names? There's a strategy! (Your stats are impressive.)

Tamara Narayan said...

I find myself in a bind as well. I have two strong ideas for novels. The first has been researched already, but writing it has been so slow. The second idea excites me more, but I haven't done any research, so I feel that the first deserves to be written, but finding the spark has been a challenge lately.

Crystal Collier said...

See, that's just way too structured for me. I can't function within that stringent an expectation or I stress myself out. But hey, if you can make it happen, you should. Way to set a plan!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Whew! You've got lots of stuff going, don't ya? Makes me tired just to read about it. I get that some people... and obviously, you're one of them... function better after analyzing goals, expectations, and number of manpower... er, womanpower... hours, but that approach would make me panic, I think. My goals are much more elastic. Which, at my age, is probably the best way. Kinda like my waistbands...

Jamie Ghione said...

I've been working on diary novel set in the 80s and have been trying to fid a title. You can see more on my blog:
http://jannghi.blogspot.com/2018/06/titles-or-character-names-which-is.html

Chrys Fey said...

Too much math. My head hurts now. LOL! JK! It sounds like you've come up with a good plan to come out with your completed series. Good luck!

emaginette said...

Your inner drive blows me away. Just sayin'.

Anna from elements of emaginette

Sandra Cox said...

I'm with, Alex. Follow your muse...before she clams up. Heh.
Writing is soooo difficult to keep up with especially when life steps in.
Many congrats on Elements!
Hugs

Rachna Chhabria said...

One of the books I started writing and abandoned half way through, none of the characters had last names, for me last names are tough.

Cherie, your writing goals are truly inspirational.

Juneta key said...

Impressive, busy. I agree with others the math hurts my head, but well done. Happy Writing and Much Success!

Gwen Gardner said...

You have to go with whatever your heart is saying. So science-fiction it is! You have a realistic and doable plan. Go for it!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You're planning ahead. It might not be what you'd wanted to do or as quickly, but planning and adjusting time frames for books is a smart business decision.

Loni Townsend said...

I avoid last names when possible. Most of the last names I use wind up being from street signs I've seen around town.

I hope your editing goes well, and that you do get to pursue your passion of the sci-fi!

Julie Flanders said...

I was surprised when I read your newsletter about the Fate stories but it makes sense for you to go where your muse is leading you with the science fiction! I hope you will enjoy writing it and I've no doubt you'll end up with another great story. You'll get back to Fate when the time is right. :)

Mark said...

Although I find both interrelated, I usually find character names easier. But I don't start a novel until I've got both.

Anonymous said...

I rarely think about a character's last name. Out of all of mine, I think only a few have last names. LOL

Chemist Ken said...

I also worry about trying to write a series when I'm such a slow writer. Readers may forget my first book by the time I have the next one ready. Even with your day job, it sounds as if you're a pretty productive writer. I'm sure you made the right choice.

Rosemary Johnson said...

Writing is a slow business. I've been writing my current novel for almost 10 years.

Jemi Fraser said...

I wish I could land on titles easily. I enjoy searching for character names tho!
I'm a slow writer - actually I'm more of a slow editor/revisor :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

That's a lot of math. I make word goals rather than hours. I know how long it will take me to edit a book so I plan that in. But I think having a plan is what makes it work. Best wishes that you meet your goal.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Lucky you that titles come easy to you. I can see the math in you in your calculations. Glad you're figuring out a plan that works for you. That's what is important.

E.M.A.Timar said...

I am still in awe of your detailed metrics and productivity. I agree with Alex and several others that if the other story is calling write it. Nothing is a substitute for passion, and a writer's passion comes through in their prose. I wish you all the best in your fledgling sci-fi endeavor. Keep being amazing! (I am sure you will.)

H. R. Sinclair said...

I could see the gears working with the math! I think it best to write what the heart/brain is telling you to write. It will go a lot easier on you. ;)

Stephen Tremp said...

I like Alex's comment maybe for my next book I'll use a name like Sting or Bono or Groot.

Shannon Lawrence said...

The fact that it feels right now that you've made the decision indicates it's the right one, at least! I love the relief at making a final decision.

Fundy Blue said...

I believe in writing what calls to you, and if it's science fiction, I say run with it, Cherie. I admire you for following your writing goals when you are working full time and have health issues ~ not an easy road. I wish you all the best!

The Cynical Sailor said...

You have to follow your muse, for sure. I love how you've calculated out exactly what it takes and made an informed decision about the way forward.

Michelle Wallace said...

You thrive when working according to detailed calculations and strict time frames. Your ongoing stats prove this!
I really hope your health issues can be resolved so that you can move full steam ahead with these amazing goals!
As always, I'm so impressed!

Tyrean Martinson said...

I'm so glad that you're moving forward with something you love and it looks like you have a great plan of action that works! Way to go! I look forward to reading all, but I can wait and not be too greedy. :)
Way to go on all you've done for Untethered Realms!

Olga Godim said...

'No last names' is certainly a novel approach, but it has merits, especially in fantasy.
But if sci-fi is calling you, go for it while the muse is awake.

Denise Covey said...

Hi Cherie. Love your cover. Wow. that's a lot of words. Currently my goal for June is to finish Book Two in my vampire trilogy. I'm on track, so all good.

Cathy Keaton said...

It's normal to lose some passion for your stories over time. I've done it a lot over the years, too. Some things truly stick, though, even if you have to take a break from writing them for a while. Good luck with your writing plans!

M Pax said...

I usually struggle with titles more. Glad you feel good about your decision. That all that matters. I've been feeling stressed lately that I'm not getting so much done. I decided I have to let it go. Things will get done when they get done.

Misha Gerrick said...

I love the cover for the anthology.

Please do let me know if I can help with the editing. :-)

Nick Wilford said...

I think that's very positive news because it shows you've put a lot of thought into making a plan for getting everything done. Hope the writing on your new SF series goes well!

DMS said...

I think it's awesome that you dd the math out and that helped you figure out your plan. Sounds like you figured out the right thing for you and your writing. Yay! :) Happy editing to you.
~Jess

Kelly Steel said...

Looking forward to the Sci fi you are planning. All the best!

Heather R. Holden said...

Know what you mean about feeling passionate about a project. I often struggle with EE anymore, since I'd rather focus on horror instead. So, I completely understand your need to work on sci-fi sooner rather than later, while still doing The Fate Challenges justice. Best of luck balancing everything!

Cher Green said...

You'll do great in whichever direction you decide to go in. Just keep going one word at a time. We'll be here waiting for your work. :)

JEN Garrett said...

A wise agent once told me, "it takes as long as it takes."