Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Wednesday's Writing Update: November Goals

 

Happy Wednesday!

This month has been a trying one since I fell on October 2nd. It rather ruined all my plans, but I am working on the edits of Reborn (will probably finish them in a couple weeks), have written the last short stories in Neighbors of Foxwick and sent them to my critique partners, and outlined Reigned (all forty chapters of it). I haven't gotten much done in Reforged except a little bit of editing/rewriting of the first few chapters, but I hope to catch up this weekend and be ready to start Part II on Monday.

I also have the final version of the map of Foxwick. I hand-drew it and used paint.net to add the words. I must admit I'm rather pleased with how it turned out, and once I have all the places for the Kingdom of Amora, I'll be ready to start drawing the map for The Fate Challenges.


I have my November goals ready and waiting. I'm a bit of a NaNoWriMo rebel this year. I do hope to write at least 50,000 words, but I plan to write it by using two novels.
  • Write Reforged. It would be awesome if I could finish Reforged this month, but I would like to at least write 30,000 words in it or at least finish through Part II.
  • Write Reigned. I'm not planning to finish this novel in November, but I am hoping to get 20,000-30,000 words done, or about the first third.
  • Finish editing Reborn. If I can keep up my two chapters a day, then I'll have it finished by mid-November. I'd rather take a bit more time than trying to rush it, so it'll be less work on my beta readers.
And that's it. Just a lot of writing and editing.

Are you participating in NaNoWriMo? What are your November goals? And you can add me as a buddy on NaNoWriMo here.

2013 Stats
130,309 words written
2110 pages edited
*Stats taken from 1/1/2013 - 10/29/2013*

Don't forget! It's the last few days of The Nightmare Collection sale! Click here for a list of retailers.

21 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If it's spread over two manuscripts, I'd say it still counts for NaNo. 50,000 words is 50,000 words!

Julie Flanders said...

I'm not doing NaNo this year but will be cheering you and others on. Sorry your fall but a damper on your October but so glad you weren't seriously hurt, that seemed like such a nasty fall!

Michelle Wallace said...

Wow, your NaNo goals are amazing!
Two novels means you have to split your mental framework into two...? I really admire you NaNoNites, the thought of writing 50K in 30 days is really daunting for a slow coach like me.
Good luck with NaNoWriMo!
Writer In Transit

Christine Rains said...

The map looks spectacular! Good luck with NaNo. You can do it! :) I'll be doing NaNo next month too. (Still don't have a clue about the plot! *LOL*) The only other thing I have to do is survive two family visits. Then I'm taking it easy with everything in December.

Crystal Collier said...

Love the map, and you've gotten done quite a bit this year. Whew! I don't do NaNo--I'm a rebel, but I happily cheer on everyone who does. It's such a wonderful way to encourage raw wordage. (Not a good fit for me though.) I've got my pompoms out and ready to go. =)

Kelly Steel said...

All the best with your NaNo Cherie!

dolorah said...

No NaNo for me. Good luck meeting all your goals :)

....dhole

DMS said...

Good luck with NaNo! I have always been curious to try it- but each year it seems to come when I am busiest and can barely get my everyday things done. Your goals sound amazing and I hope you meet them! Love that you are a rebel. :)
~Jess

Cathy Keaton said...

That's an interesting way of doing NaNo! Finish one existing MS and begin on the next one. I wish I could fly through my writing like that, but I am much too slow at this point. NaNo is too grating for me.

Nick Wilford said...

Buddied. You're awesome for doing the 50,000 as well as editing on top. Your fall doesn't seem to have set you back too much! And your map looks lovely - very professional!

Kyra Lennon said...

I have huge admiration for people who create worlds and design maps! It looks great!

Good luck with NaNo, I think I will be taking part, too!

Aubrie said...

I love that map! It looks so professional! Congrats!

Cher Green said...

The map looks great. Wonderful progress and spectacular goals. Good luck with NaNo. I'm skipping it this year. Can't take that pressure again, not right now. :)

ELAdams said...

I'm being a NaNo rebel, too, as I've already started my project, but I'm aiming to finish it in November! Best of luck with your goals! :)

StratPlayerCJF said...

Nope -- for me NaNoMo is a big NaNo-No-No.

But I wish you tremendous success with it! It sounds like you have a solid plan in place. Good luck!

Heather R. Holden said...

Wow, that map looks fantastic! Even though I'm an artist, I don't think I could ever pull something like that off. Maps confuse me too much! XD

Also, good luck with NaNo! I'm not doing it this year, since I don't write novels anymore, but I remember how maddening it could be in the past, so I'm wishing you all the best with it!

Nicole Zoltack said...

Awesome map! Very cool.

I'm also going to be a Nano rebel. Working on finishing White Hellebore and then I'm going to work on an epic fantasy romance I might self publish. We'll see.

Unknown said...

Well done on your map! It looks really cool!
So ... the first day of November has passed and I haven't done any writing :-( I've had work to do and I'm just feeling too tired at the moment! I'm hoping if I take the weekend off I'll be inspired to GO FOR IT next week!

M.J. Fifield said...

Your map looks amazing. I'm seriously impressed. Mine doesn't look anywhere near as good.

I'm also a bit of a NaNo rebel this year. But 50k is still the ultimate goal. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh...map... Yep, I like it. I read THE HOBBIT with my 8th grade class every year, and Tolkien's map definitely helps orient them on their hero's journey. November? I need a national novel REVISING month! 1/3 of the way through my mss, hoping to get it out by New Year's.

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your goals.

I like seeing maps in fantasy books.