Thursday, September 22, 2011

Purrsonal Thursdays: You Can't Spell DIET without DIE


This week is the eighth week that I've done something I haven't done before in my twenty-nine years.

That is diet.

I've been overweight a good portion of my life—since about third grade—but I never cared to diet or try to lose weight. Oh, I made those New Year's resolutions and every year I ignored them. Why stop eating what I love to eat? I'm just going to die eventually anyway.

Yeah, that was my attitude about it. I would try to eat better. For a day or two, maybe a week. Then when I didn't see results, I would give up. I tried exercise too much to the same effect.

As I near closer to thirty, I want to change. I'm tired being like this. Plus, it's setting a bad example to my sixteen-year-old sister. It was time for a change.

The past eight weeks I've watched what I eat. I'm a vegetarian, so I focused on soups, salads, and those frozen Healthy Choice/Lean Choice/etc. meals. I changed my yogurt to low carb. I eat a better cereal. I bought healthier snacks. I had to change my carbivore ways to more herbivore-like. I told myself I would make better choices and see what would happen.

The results: I've lost 14 pounds.

That's more than I've ever lost—except when I was on anti-anxiety pills and dropped twenty pounds without trying—and all just by changing my diet. I haven't even added exercise yet, but I plan to soon. I still have a long way to go to a healthier weight, and no, I won't tell you what I weigh now so don't ask, but it feels good to be fourteen pounds lighter.

I would like to lose another three pounds before the James River Writers Conference in October. I think I'll be able to do it. Of course, the true test comes in October, November, and December. Those holiday months are terrible for people trying to eat better.

Oh, and since I talk about writing a lot on here, let's see. Dieting is like writing. It's something you have to work at day by day, but it's awesome when you see results: acceptances, publication, etc. The key is not to give up, even on those weeks where you stay the same weight or even gain a pound...or receive a rejection letter. Have goals. Trim the fat/words. 

And don't forget to make it fun too.

12 comments:

Angela said...

Congratulations on your fourteen pounds, that's wonderful! And you're right, persistence is key. I needed that reminder.

Unknown said...

That is amazing news! I would love to lose 14 pounds. In fact, if I did, I would reach my weight goal. However, losing the last bit of weight is always difficult. Maybe I should try some anti-anxiety pills...

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Losing weight is never easy. I bet those pounds will melt away even faster when you start exercising. Good luck!

Sarah Tokeley said...

I know from personal experience how hard and frustrating it is to lose weight the right way. Congratulations, and keep going!

Terri Talley Venters said...

Congrats on the weight loss Cherie! My hubby and I started WW @ 2 months ago, I'm down 11, Garrison is down 22. My mom dropped 40 pounds in less than a year. You are so accurate comparing dieting to writing. Good luck!

Christine Rains said...

That is awesome! Congratulations. :) I need to get back on the dieting horse again. I don't eat badly. I need to exercise is the thing, but I have so little time to myself I don't want to give up writing time for exercising. I need to find ways to exercise with Brandon!

Nicole Zoltack said...

Congrats on the weight loss! It's not easy to lose weight. When I'm pregnant, I hate going on the scale. Even if I eat healthy, the numbers go up.

C D Meetens said...

Well done! That's amazing, and I'm sure you'll meet your target in October.

Jennifer Hillier said...

You're an inspiration! 14 lbs is amazing. Congrats!

I needed to read this. I'd like to drop a size before the end of the year, and you're right, it's all about working at it daily. Consistency is key.

Diana said...

Congratulations!

Years ago there was a Garfield cartoon. He said: "Diet... that's 'die' with a 't'" :)

Missed Periods said...

Congrats on losing 14lbs in a healthy way.

Aubrie said...

Congrats on losing 14 pounds!