Friday, September 2, 2011

#fridayflash "Consequences"

*The plot bunnies struck last week. So I hope this small flash piece will keep them quiet for a while until I can focus on the trilogy idea they gave me. By the way, this takes place 3000 years in the future from the Phoenix trilogy I wrote.*

Consequences

Her wrinkled hand clutched my arm. The fingers and grip were much stronger than I would've thought. Blue eyes shined clear and alarming in the moonlight. I placed my hand upon hers. It reminded me of parchment and ancient times.

"Mother, release me. I have to do this."

"No, I won't let you do this again, Apenth, my son. You know what will happen, if you do." Her nails dug into my flesh.

I closed my eyes and air entered my lungs. Images of the darkened city ripped into my heart. Smoke swirled around my other sight. I knew what would happen. Both outcomes. I gently pried her fingers from me.

"I'm sorry, mother." I turned my back on her.

"The gods will curse you. Please, they've already harmed us enough. I-I can't . . ."

I knew she would lower herself on her aged knees. She would beg me to stop, to stay. I couldn't. Without a backward glance, I disappeared from her side.

*

The shadows enveloped me. A woman's soft cries lured me to the farthest corner. Her dark hair draped over the swaddled baby. She was the one I saw in my visions, or rather the child was. The mother stilled as I entered into her grief. It pressed around me and a man's tears joined it. Like a palpable enemy, the sadness shoved me away.

Time was too short.

Invisible to these parents, I knelt before her. Wet blood seeped into my knees. My eyes briefly closed. I drew back the ragged towel used as a newborn's blanket. My fingers brushed against damp dark hair. Smooth, cool flesh met my touch as I placed my hand over her heart.

"Live," I commanded.

A gasp, a thump, and a wail rose from the infant. I spread my healing touch over the woman.

They would both live.

It was done.

*

Arms snatched hold of me. Night covered my eyes. I couldn't see. A roar built into my ears. I didn't think it would happen so quickly. I thought I screamed, but I couldn't hear my own voice. My body twisted in their cruel embrace.

Mother was right.

I was falling. The gods hit me with blindness, muteness, deafness.

The ground rose to embrace me.

My eyes opened to fabric and blond hair.

I could see.

"Oh, my sweet baby boy," the woman murmured, scooping me into her arms.

I could hear.

A cry erupted from my throat. Tears distorted my vision and slid down my cheeks.

I could speak.

"Mommy thought she lost you." She pressed me harder against her.

I peered at my tiny hands in awe. My head ached as the realization seized me by the throat. I couldn't breathe. The gods truly had cursed me.

I was human.

No more than a small child.

What had I done?

8 comments:

Apple Ardent Scott said...

Wow- great twist! This world sucked me right in. Good Read!

Christine Rains said...

That was fantastic! Lots of tension and emotion. Hopefully that will appease the bunnies for a while. ;)

FARfetched said...

Beautiful piece here, wonderful twist. What kind of gods are these though, who would curse someone who saves a life?

Summer Ross said...

This has a great twist in it Cherie! I enjoyed the read though in some way i feel as if the baby also saved him.

Cherie Reich said...

Summer - I hadn't thought of it as if the baby saved him, but I can kinda see it. Interesting. :)

Bess Weatherby said...

Interesting twist! Would love to know why he wanted so badly to save the baby.

Cher Green said...

Stop by my blog to receive your special award. http://chergreen.blogspot.com/2011/09/liebster-blog-award.html

Best wishes,
Cher

C D Meetens said...

Wow - loved this! I was completely drawn in, and am finding it frustrating that there isn't more to read.