Thursday, April 7, 2011

F is for Flash Fiction

If you’ve been following this blog for a while (even over a week), then you will notice every Friday I have Flash Fiction Fridays. Basically, flash fiction is a very, very short story. It needs plot, character(s), conflict, and setting. The conflict doesn’t need to be resolved, and it is often just beginning in a flash fiction piece. There is little to no back story in flash fiction. Whereas a novel is a huge span of time for the most part, a short story is a moment in time, flash fiction is a second(s) in time. In general, flash fiction is under 1,000 words, but some consider it under 300. For my flash fiction pieces, I try to hover around 500 words.

I enjoy writing flash fiction because it has taught me the valuable lesson that every word counts. By writing it, I’ve found that I can shave off words in anything I write if I think about it. It helps tighten longer pieces, and it’s great creative/writing practice.

With mentioning flash fiction, I bring you to my first blogfest. Yes, I’m holding a Flash Fiction Blogfest to celebrate close to 250 followers and flash fiction.


What the blogfest will entail:
1. You write a piece of flash fiction 500 words and under. It can be any genre, but it must be prose (sorry, poets).
2. On Friday, May 6, 2011, everyone who joins will post his/her flash fiction piece on his/her blogs. We’ll jump around and read everyone’s fun posts. It gives you almost a month to create something.
3. Over that weekend, I’ll judge everyone flash fiction piece and pick six finalists.
4. Then I’ll announce the six finalists and everyone will have a week to vote for their favorites. The top three will win prizes.

Now you’re probably wondering what those prizes are:
1st place: $25 gift card to Amazon
2nd place: A Writer’s Kit with multicolored pens, notebook, and sticky notes
3rd place: A book I've reviewed. (whichever is cheaper - electronic or print version of one book I’ve reviewed, your choice) For a list of books reviewed, click here

These prizes are just eligible for US residents, but I don’t want my international friends feeling left out.

If you are from another country and win, here are your prizes:
1st place: 50-page manuscript critique or $25 Amazon Gift Card if you are in one of the countries that accepts them*.
2nd place: 10-page manuscript critique
3rd place: A PDF copy of Once Upon a December Nightmare and Raven and the Writing Desk 2010

So, what do you need to do now. Join the linky thing below and comment on this post. I’d appreciate it if you spread the word as well. As mentioned above, it’s my first blogfest, so if you have any suggestions to help it go smoothly, I’d appreciate them.

P.S. I am signing up, too, but I won't win any prizes except for getting a chance to read some great flash fiction. *grins* 





35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cherie, This sounds fun. I'll add it to my schedule. I'll wait to join the linky. Make sure I can fit this in, which shouldn't be too hard to do.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsey Duncan said...

I'm in ... love flash fiction!

Cherie Reich said...

Cher - I hope you get a chance to join in. There's still plenty of time.

Lindsey - Yay! I look forward to your flash fiction entry. :)

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

flash fiction is cool.

Lisa Potts said...

I love flash fiction! The blogfest sounds like a blast. Count me in.
Congrats on the follower milestone!

Jack Edwards Poetry said...

I have written a flash fiction which I will be posting later this month. I agree that flash fictions help tighten work, they have taught me a lot.

I might consider joining the blogfest. I'll come back when I know if I'm up for it. Cheers

Summer Ross said...

This sounds terrific! I'll put this up on my blogfests tab at my blog. Have a fairy great day!

http://summersvoice.blogspot.com/

Cherie Reich said...

Jack - I hope you'll keep it in mind. :)

Summer - Yay! Look forward to your piece. :D

Nicole Zoltack said...

Count me in! I love writing flash fiction!

Will Burke said...

Sounds great! The other Flash Fic peice I did was a great excercise in editing, so I may make a habit of it!

Christine Rains said...

If I get the time and inspiration, I will jump in, too. That sounds like a lot of fun! ^_^

Donea Lee said...

I totally agree - flash fiction really helps you hone your writing and economize words. Count me in! :)

Cherie Reich said...

Will - Flash Fiction is a great exercise in editing. :)

Robyn Campbell said...

I've never written flash fiction in my life. I tend to go on and on and on and on. Nut I wish I could. I write picture books, but even then I get 500 words. *wink*

Nice to meet you. Thanks for the visit and follow over at Putting Pen To Paper. I'm following you back.

Kittie Howard said...

Sounds like fun, Cherie. I've never written flash fiction but am willing to jump into the pool and paddle. Have you on my schedule. Thanks for hosting.

ali cross said...

What a fun idea Cherie! I'll have to work up my courage before signing up ... I only did my first flash fiction a couple weeks ago. It was fun, but ... definitely out of the box for me!

And hey, wonderful interview too! Congrats!

Ciara said...

I wrote my first flash fiction piece last month. It was a lot of fun! Good luck with the blog fest. :)

alberta ross said...

I'll have a go!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Such a fun blogfest.... I am doing all flash fiction for the A-Z challenge... SO I have LOTS of practice.

I'm looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm linked up and ready to play. I look forward to reading everyone's entry.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad I found your blog a few days ago! I'll be writing a flash story every day in May, so I'll have something to post. :)

Adding a link to your blogfest on my post for a blog hop, so hopefully I'll send a few people your way.

Can't wait until May 6!

Unknown said...

Sounds cool! I've added you to my blogfest list and I'm definately in!

Denise Covey said...

Hi Cherie. Writing flash fiction is one of my fave forms of writing. I write for #fridayflash. I wonder why the Amazon Gift Card couldn't have been offered to internationals if they won? I can understand the postage items...

Denise<3

stu said...

Brevity, brevity. Can I do brevity? I don't know. Let's find out.

MJ said...

just found out about this challenge, sounds like fun!

Bill, the Wildcat said...

This does sound fun, and it's giving me a really goofy idea to run with. Can't wait, Cherie!

Rebecca Dupree said...

I heart flash fiction! It's what I did for the A to Z challenge. Super excited!

Ravis Harnell said...

Happy Flash Fiction Friday, all. It warms my cockles to see everyone contributing. Mine tale is called "The Ferryman."

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I'm late I know. But me and Sam McCord are in ... in a flash. Come visit me for "The Dreamer's Punishment."

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I'm late I know. But me and Sam McCord are in ... in a flash. Come visit me for "The Dreamer's Punishment."

Rebecca Dupree said...

I posted! I call mine "Joseph's Sailboat" coming in at an even 500!

Abhishek said...

I am game too!!!

Lana said...

I'm in :) I love reading and writing flash fiction, in fact I blogged about it the other day!

Sonia said...

Late for this. But hopefully not too late.