Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Wednesday's Writing Update


Boy, a lot has happened in a week. Let's see if I can remember everything.

First off, I'm having a 50 followers contest on my Surrounded by Books blog. I'm giving away first page critique, first chapter/short story critiques, short stories, and a grand prize of a 50 page critique. Click here for more details and to enter.

On Saturday, I celebrated my two year writer anniversary. January 15, 2009 was when I started writing The Phoenix Prophetess. A lot has happened in those two years, and I look forward to better and brighter things.

On Flash Fiction Fridays, I tried my hand at first person present tense. I think it went well, but you can read for yourself here.

Today my story "The Case of the Unicorn Horn" is up on Raven and the Writing Desk. You can read it here. This is my second Liam O'Hare mystery short story.

This week has been an editing week. We're creating a collection of short stories from Raven and the Writing Desk from 2010, and we plan to make the paperback/ebook available to everyone soon. So, I've been editing my old short stories, and I'll do the final proofread before we go to printer. I have even more respect for publishers now than ever before because of all the hard work that is going into making this book happen. Right now, I'm editing two of my short stories a day, so I can finish before the end of the month.

I've also been reviewing an old book I edited for PWP this week. I hope to finish it by the end of today or early tomorrow.

Then, I've started editing "Defying Gravity." I want to have it ready to go back to my CPs by mid-February and have it ready to submit by the end of February. Oh, I'm so glad I know more about writing now. The first chapter I worked on yesterday is filled with backstory. *shudders*

I've fallen way behind on rewriting three chapters a week on Virtuoso. So far, I'm averaging one chapter a week. I'm hoping I'll be able to work on it some this weekend.

And, I need to write this week's flash fiction. Does anyone have any theme ideas they would like to share with me? Sometimes I have a hard time finding inspiration for all these flash fiction, but I enjoy doing them so much that I don't want to give them up. So themes would be helpful. *gives the puppy-dog look*

Despite being busy with all this writing stuff, I've felt so good this week. Each day has flown by, and I'm enjoying myself. I really do love being a writer.

Now, I'm off to do more edits.

5 comments:

Aubrie said...

Wow, you have a lot going on: which is a good thing!

For flash fiction: you could do one about snow. There's a whole lot of it spread out around the US right now.

I'm going to check out your unicorn story now.... :)

Cherie Reich said...

Aubrie, I wrote about snow last flash fiction, but it's a great theme. I'll have to use it again soon.

And, yes, it's a good thing to have so much going on. I'm getting good at this editing thing, too, so it takes less time to do it.

Rachel Searles said...

This is a wild amount of work for one week--I don't know how you manage it! Kudos to you for being so prolific!

Cherie Reich said...

Thanks, Rachel. The secret I've found to help out is create a list. I write down the things I want to do that day on my phone. When I'm finished with one, I delete it and go to the next. It's so handy.

Nicole Zoltack said...

Lists are wonderful. I think I need to make more of them because you're right - they're handy but they also make me more productive, especially when I prioritize the items.