Thursday, January 27, 2011

Personal Thursdays: Go Steelers!

Personal Thursdays

Go Steelers!


Yes, I will admit it. I am a football fan. Come Sunday from the end of August to the beginning of February, I am sitting in front of the television and watching the NFL. The team I love the most: the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I live in Virginia, and I grew up with "are you a Redskins or Cowboys fan?" I was neither. Still hate both those teams. Why a Pennsylvania team? Why the Steelers?

First off, my ancestor William Penn founded Pennsylvania. Yeah, I have cool ancestors, and when I have traveled in Pennsylvania before, I fell in love with it. I felt a strong connection, and it is as much of a state I love as my very own Virginia. If I could live in any other city, it would be around Philadelphia, I loved it so.

So, why not be a fan of the Eagles?

It's because of one man. Number 43 of the Steelers. Troy Polamalu. 


The first time I really watched a NFL football game, it involved the Steelers and someone else. Troy Polamalu intercepted the ball and ran it for a touchdown. His abilities and catlike grace sent shivers up my spine and goose bumps up my arms. From that moment on, I knew the Steelers was my team.

I have to admit I didn't know Troy's name for a long time. He was affectionately known as "Furry Guy" to me. He really does have such beautiful hair. *sighs* And, I've never seen a better defensive player.

Since I grew enamored first with Troy and the Steelers and then football in general, I can speak with the best of them on the subject. I remember names, games, teams, and the NFL commentators have to stop saying the same things I do seconds after I say them. I'm wondering if I'm being watched. The same thing used to happen with me and Simon Cowell when I watched American Idol. Weird, right?

And, I do have some Steelers gear. I own a shirt, jacket, and keychain. I even have a Steelers tissue box. *blushes*

Anyways, you have to imagine how excited I am that the Steelers are going to the Super Bowl. Come February 6th, I'll be sitting at home watching the game and cheering on my team.

Go Steelers!

2 comments:

Rachel Searles said...

I just can't get into football, but it is a family requirement that I support the Browns. Not that they'll ever make it to the Super Bowl! ;)

Cherie Reich said...

Aww, poor Browns! Maybe the new coach will be better. I heard they fired the other one. You never know.

I think it helps to cheer for a team. If you can get behind one, then it makes it more enjoyable. I've found that if you play sports yourself, it can be easier watching a sport (I used to play soccer and love the competitiveness of it). Plus, listening to the commentators and learning how the game is played is a big bonus too. Without it, it's easy to get lost and not enjoy it as much.