Friday, June 25, 2010

I've been thinking....

Yes, I realize those are some dangerous words, despite the fact that I think a lot. I even wish they had a device that could be hooked up to my brain, so I could just think the words and images, and they would write themselves out onto the computer screen. I'd get so much more written that way, if I just had to think it. *laughs* But, I've been thinking about the coming months on the blog here and writing in general.

My writing goals have been shot this year. By this time, I had hoped to have a third novel written. Have I? Nope. I've only written one chapter in book two of the Phoenix Trilogy and three chapters in a new novel Hammered Home. I've written several short stories, but I really want to go back to writing novels.

So, I've decided July would be a brand new start when it comes to writing. I'm going to try to write almost every day. On Mondays, I'm going to work on a novel. I plan to get back to writing Moonlight Murders, my historical mystery novel. And, if I get stuck with it, then I'll work again on Hammered Home or The Phoenix Sorceress. On Tuesdays, I plan to work on a short story. On Wednesdays, I'm going to begin working on a paranormal romance novella I have in my head. On Thursdays and Fridays, I'll work on either my novel, short story, or novella, depending on what time I have during the day to do so. On the weekends, I'll be editing Virtuoso and The Phoenix Prophetess and anything else that might require edits, such as old short stories.

Since my start and success in my one flash fiction story, I thought it would be fun to write some flash fiction as a writing practice. On the blog, I'm going to begin having "Flash Fiction Fridays." I'll try to have a new flash fiction piece every Friday beginning in July. I might not get something written for every Friday, but it would be a great exercise in story, characters, and words.

Also, since I'm up to 22 members, I wanted to mention again that I'll begin having interviews on my blog. If you are an author and have something published or forthcoming and want a little exposure, please comment on the blog or email me at cherie.reich@gmail.com. I'd be happy to interview people. *smiles*

And, if you are considering reading Boneshaker by Cherie Priest, you should hop over to Raven and the Writing Desk. I wrote a review of this science fiction/steampunk novel. You'll find reviews, stories, and much more there.

Happy Friday, everyone! Have a good weekend!

4 comments:

Aubrie said...

Wow, I just picked up my copy of Boneshaker today! I've had it for awhile and flipped through the first chapter, but today I started seriously reading it. So I'll go check out your review!

And I think it's great you took a break from writing novels to do a lot of short stories. I did that as well, and it has really helped my novel writing. And you got so many of them published. So I think you accomplished a lot this year so far!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of flash fiction Friday :) looking forward to those posts ~

I admire the fact that you have a talent for writing short stories. I have started with the intention of a short story, and the character and plot grow and grow and grow....

Maryellen

Nicole Zoltack said...

Setting down writing rules... that's something I need to do for myself! But real life just keeps getting in the way, plus working on my query letter and sending it out for both my fantasy YA and my assassin paranormal... it's really amazing how much work a writer has to do beyond the actual writing part!

I love writing short stories myself but there's nothing like writing a novel, so I know exactly what you mean. :) Good luck with your writing!

Btw, I would love to be interviewed! And if you want to be interviewed for my blog, just let me know.

Cherie Reich said...

Aubrie - Thanks! I hope you enjoy reading Boneshaker. And, I still have more short stories to write, but I'm getting really excited to begin working on novels again.

Maryellen - Thanks for commenting! I hope I can keep up writing the flash fiction. It's something very new for me, but I think it'll be fun. It can be difficult keeping a story short. I just keep thinking it is a moment in time, whereas a novel is many moments in time. :)

Nicole - I know exactly what you mean about all a writer has to do besides writing. I've been working on edits for my upcoming ebook, and it has been sapping my creativity for new stuff at times. I'm looking forward to when it goes to the proofer, so I can put the story behind me and focus on new stories (and old ones I need to edit/rewrite...it never ends). And, I would love to interview you and be interviewed. I'll send you a message on Facebook shortly. :)