Friday, June 11, 2010

Better

I feel much better now since being sick Sunday evening and Monday. Unfortunately, sometime between then and today, I've broken a blood vessel in my eye. Thankfully, it's broken under my lower eyelid, so no one can see it, but it's nasty looking. At first, I was very freaked out by it until I realized what it was. So, needless to say, I'm on the mend.

Yesterday, I wrote a zombie flash fiction story. It's my first zombie story and my first flash fiction story (under 500 words). I enjoyed writing it, and I think it turned out pretty good. I submitted it to Pill Hill Press's Daily Bites of Flesh anthology. We'll see how it goes, since I haven't had much luck with Pill Hill Press yet beyond the occasional short listed piece.

I'll have a long weekend this weekend, too, but it won't involve being sick (I hope). I planned to take off Monday and Tuesday this coming week. Tuesday, for my cousin's high school graduation, and Monday, just because. It'll give me time to work on my writing. I plan to finish edits for my friend Aubrie's new novel (have about 50 pages to go). Then, I plan to work on my third edits for Once Upon a December Nightmare. I want to read through a couple short stories I've written and see if one will be good to submit to Virginia's Golden Nib contest. And, I need to finish writing my short story for Raven and the Writing Desk blog.

As for Once Upon a December Nightmare, I hope these are my last edits (beyond proofing). I'm getting a little tired of working on the same story, although it is shaping up better than I ever expected. On the flip side, it's no longer the story I envisioned. When I first wrote it back in May 2009, I wanted a spoofy horror story told with a campy feel. The original was a lot like that. It was nothing serious. But through the advice of my editor, the entire story has changed. It's grown to be more serious, more real. There are a few spoofy elements still in play, but the feel of the story is nothing like I imagined. It's not a bad thing. It's a much better written story, but at the same time, it's not what I had in mind.

On an exciting note, at work we discussed our library schedule and how we need to start staying open to 6:00 PM instead of 5:00 PM through the summer. I brought up the Valley Writer meetings. Jessica offered to take my Wednesday and Thursday evenings, even into the fall, so I can continue to go to them. So, yay! They're stuck with me. Muahahaha!

Well, I best get back to processing these 60+ books. Fun!

3 comments:

Nicole Zoltack said...

Good to hear you're feeling better! And good luck with your flash piece. Like you, with their other anthologies I had a couple short listed then rejected but received an acceptance for their Daily Flash anthology so hopefully you'll receive an acceptance too! :)

Aubrie said...

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better! But that stinks about your eye. I'd be afraid that someone would notice and think I had pink eye or was a zombie or something.

I'm glad you found a writing group to go to! I need one up here. :)

Lisa Rusczyk said...

Yay! Got better. Feels like you never will when you're sick.

I enjoyed the flash piece. I bet they take it.