Monday, December 28, 2009

Submissions and Kindle

I hope everyone had a great holiday!

Christmas went well. We went over to my Grandpa's house and ate with the family and exchanged gifts. Everything was very nice, although it was a bit bittersweet. It was the first time that we had gathered there as a family since my Grandma died back in September 2008.

On the topic of Christmas gifts, I got a Kindle. It is so awesome! I absolutely love it, and that is saying something from the girl who hates to read books on the computer. I've already downloaded five books on it, and I plan to download book six on Wednesday when I get paid. (Book six will be my friend Aubrie Dionne's book Dreams of Beauty). I read Stephen King's UR first. I had to read it. It was an amazing novella. I wish I had an Ur Kindle. Unfortunately, I can't download things on Kindle at home, since I live in the middle of nowhere. Then again, it is probably a bit fortunate, too. If I could download things all the time, I would rack up thousands of dollars in books. It would not be good. *laughs* It is easy to read on a Kindle, just like reading a paperback book. *huggles Kindle* I'm currently reading Stephen King's Under the Dome on my Kindle. Just because I have one doesn't mean I won't read real books anymore. I'm reading Michael Cricton's Pirate Latitudes as well in hardback. *sighs* I really miss Michael Cricton. He was my favorite author of all time.


On other news, I finished writing another short story. I wrote two short stories in December. The first one is called "Defying Gravity," and it is a sci-fi romance story. Here is what it is about:   The Persean linguist, Linia, is excited about her people's first intergalactic space mission. Yet, when they attack their mortal enemies, the Medusans, Linia's world is turned upside down. The SS Perseid is sucked into a wormhole. Linia wakes up to find herself moments from crashing and the crew dead. She finds herself in worse trouble when she crashes. She lands on the unfriendly planet, Earth,and is captured by the Earthlings. Imprisoned underneath the ground,she has to find a way to escape and meets a friend along the way. Can they get out before they become an Earthling's dinner?

I plan to submit "Defying Gravity" to Pill Hill Press's Fire and Ice anthology as soon as I get a chance to edit/rewrite it.

The other short story is called "Cat and Mouse." It is a heists and capers short story. Here is what it is about: Rose is an international art thief, who is responsible for stealing six famous works of art. When she plans to steal a Dali painting during Venice's Carnival, she finds herself up against the detective who has hounded her since her first caper. Can she get away? Or is the game up?

"Cat and Mouse" was submitted to Emerald Tales "Carnivale" issue.

I also submitted "Wishes" today to Pill Hill Press's Four Horsemen anthology's Death section. "Wishes" wasn't originally written for that anthology, but I thought that it would fit under the Death heading, so I decided to do a bit of a rewrite and send it in today.

I still have "Eclipse" and "Soul Survivor" out there in submission world. I hope to hear back from them soon, or I'll have to be sending an email and inquiring about their status.

I've been looking through anthologies and the like to see what short stories to write next. I think my next one will be a thriller short story called "Grave Mistakes" for Emerald Tales "It was a bright and sunny day" issue. I have the story in my mind for the most part, so I thought I should write it next. I also need to get back into finishing the rewrites/edits for The Phoenix Prophetess, so I can start writing book two. So much writing to do and so little time.

And, I must resist the urge to read my Kindle all day.

I will be blogging a year in review soon. I hope everyone has a great new year!

No comments: