Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wednesday's Writing Update: May Stats, June goals, and an acceptance

First off, please welcome Raquel Byrnes to the blog. Her guest post about the inspiration of her novel Purple Knot is here.

Yesterday marked the end of May, and thus I now have May's stats.

Submissions: 3
Rejections: 4
Acceptances: 1
Words Written: 3273

My word count for May was very, very bad. Ugh. I need to find a way to fix it this month.

And look, I have an acceptance. I'm very proud of this acceptance. My story "Folding Hope" will be published in Stories for Sendai. This is a charity anthology geared toward raising money for Japan. I have posts planned that are related to the anthology, including possibly my first vlog. So be on the look out for that coming later in June.

As for June, I do have some goals. I have a few short stories I would like to write. I need to get back to rewriting Virtuoso and continue with edits. Plus I am going to start keeping track of how many pages I edit a month. It'll give me an idea on what I'm doing on that front.

As for Virtuoso, chapters 1-5 are back from my critique partners. Everyone is loving the story, thinks the pace is good, and has remarked on its professional quality. There are things I need to change/tweak here and there, but so far, so good. I hope to edit chapters 6-10 within the next couple weeks and get them to my CPs and rewrite chapters 11-15. I think the five chapters at a time thing is working pretty well. My goal is to query agents by October, but that means I need to have the rewrite, critiques back, and edits finished by September, so I can do a last proofread/polish.

In other words, I need to get back to writing, rewriting, and editing. *laughs*

So, what news do you have?

7 comments:

Christine Rains said...

Congratulations on your acceptance! ^_^ I wanted to write more short stories for May, too, but this sci-fi one is slowing me down. I want to do it, though. Then I think I'll write one more before starting to edit my Sphinx novel. I'd love to have that ready to send in maybe by the end of the summer.

Aubrie said...

Congrats on that wonderful acceptance. I'll buy the anthology to support Japan and you, of course!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I am always interested in seeing writer specs. Congrats on your acceptance!

Terri Talley Venters said...

Congrats on your Acceptance! Woohoo (raising the roof). My May word count stinks. I Need to giddy-up in June too. Wonder what our Facebook, twitter, and blog word counts are? =)

Alleged Author said...

Hooray on your story acceptance!

Regina said...

Congrats for your acceptance and keep up the great work. I commend anyone who sets goals. I am so bad at it!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I've got good news recently - I'll be heading off to Kansas to participate in a two-week writing workshop at the Center for the Study of Science Fiction! Yay!


By the way, the poll is still open for what book I should read and share my thoughts about next on the Kelworth Files, and I really need book lovers, (particularly science fiction and fantasy) to give me their opinion. So, come by http://kelworthfiles.wordpress.com/2011/05/29/a-wizard-of-mars-chapter-fifteen/ and check out the poll options!