Saturday, April 23, 2011

T is for Twitter

Picture Found Here
Twitter is a great way to connect with people from celebrities to family and friends to colleagues and everyone in between.

I joined Twitter on March 16, 2009. I didn’t know much about it at the time, was overwhelmed by the rapidness of the tweets, and only had about 25+ followers. I tweeted some, but then I stopped for a long time.

In October 2010, I attended the James River Writers Conference. This is where I learned how valuable Twitter can be. I started using hashtags. I started re-tweeting. I added my fellow blogger friends and many other people suggested to me. I enjoyed reading people’s tweets. Then my followers jumped up quickly. I now have over 400 followers, and I’m amazed by it.

I really enjoy Twitter, and the best advice I can give new Twitters is to use hashtags. I tend to use some such as #amwriting, #nanowrimo, #amediting, #amcrusading, etc. It has really helped. And, don’t worry if you can’t read every tweet. No one expects you to.

You can find me @bookworm0753.

I look forward to your tweets.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I just joined Twitter last month. Much to my surprise, I enjoy it! I have seen people talking about either loving or hating Twitter. I figured I'd hate it. I was wrong!

Anonymous said...

Saying hello through the A to Z :)

Great post, I've been tweeting for about a year but really only started using it to promote my blog recently - it is invaluable!

(Now following you on twitter too)

Lady A x

M.J. Fifield said...

I'm new to Twitter and like what Janel said, I'm surprised I like it as much as I do.

I just hit triple digit followers yesterday. Kind of exciting.

Laura S. said...

Twitter is fun! At first I thought it was kind of silly, but my best friend kept urging me to set up an account. So I finally did, but it was mostly to follow my favorite gymnasts and gymnastics news. Then I found out writing bloggers and authors and agents were on Twitter! I got really into it once I started my blog over a year ago and discovered the usefulness of hashtags. Hashtags really are terrific for connecting with other writers!

Anonymous said...

I'm not twittering or tweeting yet, but I really should get on it, especially now that I've gone iPhone.

I'm starting up a 'Critiquing and Supportive Crusaders' program, where participants in the Second Crusade can find other writers to exchange critiques with or form supportive critiquing circles. If you're interested, come by The Kelworth Files to check it out!

Alleged Author said...

I'm still trying to figure Twitter out right now. We can't afford internet on our cell phones, so Twitter seems like it might not be for me at the moment. I can never keep up with it!