Tuesday, April 5, 2011

D is for Dilemma

Photo Courtesy: Julia Manzerova on Flickr

I have a dilemma. I also have trouble spelling “dilemma,” but that’s a problem in and of itself. *laughs* But, no, the dilemma is an idea for a sequel.

I personally love sequels and series, such as Harry Potter, Sookie Stackhouse, Temperance Brennan, Alex Rider, etc.

I must admit my novels tend to have the ability to have a sequel or series. For example, The Phoenix Prophetess formed as the Phoenix Trilogy in almost the same strand of thought. Virtuoso has the ability to be a trilogy, as well, but it can stand alone. Missing is a single book, but since I wrote “Cassandra Project,” I can see a sequel hiding in the back of my mind.

For my short stories, the majority of them are individual. No sequel in them. Until I wrote Defying Gravity. I see series potential here, but that’s still not my major dilemma.

The dilemma comes with Once Upon a December Nightmare. When I wrote it, it was a single story. That’s it. I’m done with it. Loved it while I lasted, but it’s over at the end, kinda.

Then, David Huffstetler, author of Blood on the Pen, read Once Upon a December Nightmare and told me I should write a sequel. He wanted more. Even gave me ideas. I dismissed them at the time. Once Upon a December Nightmare was all she wrote, so to speak. Then, the ideas seeped in. Now, I’m seriously considering writing a sequel. I even have a title for it: Nightmare Ever After.

The first one is selling fairly well…by my standards. By the way, huge thank you to everyone who has bought it so far and those who have reviewed. You don’t know how much I appreciate your support! So, a sequel seems plausible, but I just don’t know.

I want to write new things. I’m stuck rewriting old novels for now, but eventually I’ll have time for new stuff. But is a sequel really new? I don’t know. I also have ideas for completely new novels. Which to do first? I don’t know. So, there you have my dilemma.

Any suggestions? Do you have problems figuring out which idea to go with first? What do you think of series? Personally, I love them until they go past the point of all sounding the same. I still don’t know what to do.

13 comments:

Ju Dimello said...

Oooh..a sequel is absolutely a new novel for sure.. the characters are friends by now ;) The adventures / conflicts are not! ...

I sometimes have an old idea I keep re-writing, till something new comes out of the blue - for the same old idea.. Even that's new according to me...

Don't even get me started on the shiny new ideas that always taunt us, till we get to it and they disappear...

Following you from A-Z challenge!

Kathy said...

Hi Cherie,
Good one for the "D" of the Challenge
dilemma indeed! Which path to choose! I envy the creativity of writers and painters. .....also love you little bookworm!
I found you with the ‘surprise me’ button. I’m a new follower of yours. I'd love to have you check out my take on the A to Z Challenge, comment and follow, if you'd like.
http://oaklawnimages.blogspot.com/
Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

Nicole Zoltack said...

I love series and trilogies! but I'm sure you already knew that.

The best advice I can give you is to write or work on whatever story you want to right now, whichever one is calling you. You'll have the most fun with that story. That's how I usually choose.

Christine Rains said...

I always think in series, too. That's why I have trouble writing short stories. They're too little to contain everything that goes on in my head in my worlds! Sequels are new stories in my opinion.

As to what you should write, I say go with what you're feeling at the moment. You can't force yourself to write a story. I've learned the hard way with that. If you've let something go and you want to move on, move on. Let the readers take up what happens next. That's what fanfiction and PBeM RPGs are for! *LOL* ;)

FilmMattic said...

You may be full of dilemmas (ah, it is a tricky word to spell), but they're all productive ones. Anything that keeps you writing and engaging your imagination is a positive matter. Though, I must admit too, I sometimes am bitten by the scatterbrain bug. It's hard to figure out what takes top priority.

Arlee Bird said...

Sequels can certainly be new and should be. Most of all I prefer any book of a series to be able to stand alone.


Contrary to my usual practice of subscribing to comments, to save time during the challenge I will not be doing so at the moment. If you want to respond to my comment , please email me directly from your email notification for the comment.
Thanks. And I truly appreciate your efforts.

Lee
Tossing It Out
Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

well demonstrated dilemma,
in your fiction...

smiles.
good luck on wriiting..

Trisha said...

Write it! :D

Sarah Mäkelä said...

I have a problem with dilemmas too and trying to figure out what I should be working on. Dilemmas suck! lol

You should work on the sequel, especially if the first one is selling pretty well. I think a sequel is definitely a new book!

Unknown said...

Yes, I DO have problems figuring out which idea to go with first. There are too many of them and I have to choose!

As for sequels... I love them. I love (as a reader, and as a writer I guess) how you come back to the same characters and they familiar, like old friends that you've missed while you were reading/writing other books. So... yeah, I think I'm saying you should go for a sequel!

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

A good D challenge word most enjoyable read.



Thanks for your visit and comment,
Yvonne,

Talli Roland said...

I try to go with the ones that make sense -- I ash myself what my writing priorities should be. It's so hard to prioritise when it comes to ideas, though!

Rachael Harrie said...

Goodness, that is a dilemma!!! I do love sequels, though I'd say to go with the book that's most demanding your attention right now, and store the others away for the moment :)

Hugs,

Rach