Thursday, March 10, 2011

Personal Thursdays: Reflection

http://www.forgettingourselves.com/
I suppose birthdays do this to people. They make them think about where they are, where they thought they would be at this age, and where they're going.

Ten years ago, I would've said my being a writer was crazy. At the tender age of nineteen, I wanted to be an actor/opera singer. I thought I would be married by now, living in NYC or London or Paris. I would've been on Broadway or the Met. Oh, yes, I was ambitious and had goals that shot to the stars and above. I studied to be an actor/opera singer, but then things fell apart. It didn't bring as much joy, and the road looked to be so hard. I had to admit although I had some talent, I wasn't good enough. I knew this.

Plans changed.

Today, I'm single, still living at home (don't make enough to live on my own and have too many bills...yes, those student loans kill you), and I'm a full-time library assistant by day, a part-time freelance editor (often by day and night), and a writer (day and night). It's not what I had planned, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

As for the future, I don't know what will happen. Ten years from now, I hope I'm still writing. I hope I've paid off my student loans and tried not to acquire more. Oh, shiny MFA in Creative Writing and/or Masters in Library Science, you tempt me so. It'd be nice to have a place of my own for my books and I might live there too. *laughs* It'd be nice to have a novel in the library/bookstores/etc.

Turning 29 wasn't bad, and I am really looking forward to 30. I feel like I'm at a good place in my life. Now, if I could just stop wanting to rush things to get that novel ready to submit to agents. True, I have time, but I would like to reach that step before 30. *grins*

12 comments:

Heather Hellmann said...

Good luck and Happy Birthday :)

Cats! said...

29 is a great year. But the 30s are better!

Aubrie said...

It's good to be reflective around birthdays! I thought I'd be in an orchestra permanently by 30, but alas, I teach a billion flute lessons instead.

When I reevaluated my life, I started writing again, because flute eclipsed all of that after high school and I'm glad I did. I'm glad you did, as well!!

Cherie Reich said...

Lisa - I'm glad to hear someone thinks 30s are better. *grins*

Aubrie - Thank you! I sometimes wish I had gotten into writing earlier than I did. Then again, it might would've been a harder road when I was younger. I could've gotten discouraged and given up. I don't think that'll happen now because I do think I've been successful. I love writing so much too. It's a great outlet for my creativity. I'm glad you're writing too. Now, I need to read the new stuff you sent me. *grins*

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Times are tough but you'll make it and realize all your goals :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday and I hope you make your goal before you are 30!!

Cherie Reich said...

Shelley - Thank you!

Anonymous said...

It's good you wouldn't have it any other way! I hope life continues to treat you well as you get to thirty. ;)

Marjorie said...

Hey---just wanted to wish you a belated Happy Birthday and tell you I gave you the Stylish Award!

Marjorie said...

*Stylish Blogger Award

Cherie Reich said...

Aww! Thank you, Margorie!

Christine Rains said...

It's funny how things change so much in ten years. I bet in ten more, things will be even more different, but I still hope you're writing, too. ^_^