Thursday, October 28, 2010

NaNoWriMo Preparation


It's only a few days until Monday, November 1st. I feel like I have so much more I want to accomplish and not enough days to do it. So, I'm having to improvise and decide what is essential to write this year's NaNoWriMo novel, Sarah's Nightmare.

I have blurbs written, synopsis, timeline, and outline.

I finished my detailed character sketches of the three main characters: Sarah, Ted, and Marc.

I wrote four flash fiction pieces for November's Flash Fiction Fridays. These pieces include the main character, but these are events written in their lives that won't appear in the novel. They were a lot of fun to write and worth it, I think.

Now, I'm working on some quick world building to get a feel for certain places in the novel. On Saturday, my parents are going to meet me after work, and we're going up to Mill Mountain to see the star.


Roanoke is known as the Star City, and Mill Mountain and our star feature in my novel. My parents say I've been to the star before, but I don't remember it, so I thought it was time to take a trip, take lots of pictures, and be ready to write that scene when it comes to it.

If I can get my world building done today for the most part and write up some research questions, then I'll be set to do my research Friday and Saturday. I want to do at least some preliminary research, so I can write what I need to write. Anything more in depth can come later in revisions.

If I can get all that done by Saturday, I feel like I'll be more than ready to begin writing Sarah's Nightmare on Monday.

According to my outline, Sarah's Nightmare has fifty scenes in it. My goal is to write two scenes a day, no matter what the word count is. If I can do that, I should have the novel finished on November 25th. Of course, there will be days where I don't get that much done, and I'm prepared for that. And, yes, I do hope to write the complete first draft in November.

As for my blog, I might not be around quite as much in November. I am working on getting all the Monday Promos set up to go on their respected Mondays. Friday's Flash Fiction is ready to post. And, I'll use Wednesday's Writing Update to give updates on how NaNoWriMo is going this year. And, if I have time, I'll see what else I can post on the other days of the week.

I wish everyone else who is doing NaNoWriMo good luck, and add me as a buddy if you are on the official site. I'm bookworm0753 there.

2 comments:

Christina Lee said...

Wowee-- go you and good luck!

Cherie Reich said...

Thanks, Christina!